Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Community Centers > Smokin Tunes

Smokin Tunes A place for musicians and music lovers (that also smoke cigars!) to discuss their passion.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-07-2012, 07:11 AM   #1
RoomDog
Herf Meister

Paging Gui_Tarzan or other electric guitarists...

The boy (now 16) wants an electric guitar for Christmas. I'm back in Germany and really don't want to buy locally, so I'm pretty much stuck with www.musiciansfriend.com or something similar that ships to APO's.

Could you give recommendations for a guitar / amp combo? Not sure whether to go Les Paul, Strat or Tele style (I explained the differences to him and he's checking out comparisons on youtube. I'm well versed on acoustics, but not up to date on electrics (i.e.: where made, which is the best price/performance, etc...)

- He already plays, and has a Larrivee OM and a cheap Yamaha classical
- Amp needs a headphone jack (1/4 or 1/8)...
- An amp with built in effects (i.e.: Fender Mustang) is better right now than a tube amp and pedals...
- Would rather spend the majority on the guitar... around $100-200 on the amp.
- He listens to everything from Led Zeppelin to Ted Nugent to Jack White to whatever those whippersnappers listen to today (Chevelle, Linkin Park, etc...)
- Looking to keep the whole package under $750 (less expensive is always better, but I'll also go up to $1k)

Thanks in advance!!!!