Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-15-2013, 06:18 PM   #1
spiridon
Herf God

JdN Fuerte B vs. Ligero-Laced 2nds Liga 'F' Robusto.

I received these two "bundle" cigars from CI this weekend and was anxious to give them a try. The weather has turned pretty chilly here on the Gulf Coast today so I decided to try one of each on my drive to and from my "Sunday -go-meeting-place" McSharry's, a local Irish pub. I decided to light up the "Ligero-Laced 2nd" as my first option on the drive over. It was more of a Corona in length, but about a 50 ring gauge. Nice medium brown wrapper, a few veins, but a good overall feel to the stick. Lighting up, it gave a welcome bit of spice right up front, just what I was hoping for. The first inch was very nice, not much in the way of complexity, but producing that pepper and spice that I love.......you could tell that there was indeed a good bit of ligero leaf in this cigar. One of the first things I noticed as this cigar settled in was the aroma was a little "bitter"? You know, when your cigar isn't fully lit? Sure enough the smoke started dying a bit and I found that it needed touching up as half of the cigar just didn't seem to be staying lit. After touching it up with my torch it seemed to come back around.....again a pretty much a straightforward tobacco flavor, not much in the way of any distinctive flavors or such. As I continued the journey with this cigar it didn't change much in the way of flavor, but it did seem to need attention in respect to keeping it fully lit. Nice bit of strength, pepper & spice throughout....a decent cigar, but I certainly wouldn't call it outstanding. I finished it up as I arrived at my destination, and as I laid it down I did so with mixed feelings. I'll definitely look forward to giving these another try and see if my first experience was the exception and not the rule. Overall I enjoyed the profile of this cigar, as stated, a pretty good bit of strength, a nice bit of spice and really not bad for a "bundle" cigar.
After enjoying some Irish music, some good conversation and a couple of adult beverages I was ready for the trek home and a chance to try the second offering, the JdN Fuerte B.......
I lit this one up as I was pulling away from McSharry's and it instantly brought a smile to my face! This was I think about a 48 ring gauge and more of a true robusto size in length. Wow, this one caught my attention right from the start! I got a strong heady hit of spices right from the start, a good KICK of pepper! If you are familiar with and like the "typical" JdN flavor/stength profile....this is one you should give a try. The first inch of this cigar stayed pretty steady in the strength/spice department, giving a great nose tingle in the process. The burn on this cigar was very true, never needing a touch-up whatsoever. I wouldn't call this a complex cigar by any stretch of the imagination, but I wasn't really expecting that either. After that first inch the cigar settled down just a bit, but never to the point of being "dull". I happen to belong to the TommyBB school of thought...something along the lines of, "If you find a $10 cigar that you rate as very good, and you find that same or similar profile in a $3 cigar....then it's GREAT cigar"! I'd have to rate this JdN in that category, this is one helluva "bundle" cigar IMO....at least based on the one (actually the second) that I've tried. This cigar stayed consistent the whole way through, the burn was great, loads of smoke, and it had the strength/profile that I love. As stated before, not much in the way of complexity. You won't find (or at least I didn't) hints of nutmeg, not much in the way of cocoa or coffee, but if you like a robust, fairly strong cigar with a good bit of pepper & spice then I'd suggest giving these try. It was hard for me to believe these were "bundle" cigars....I hope the rest of the bundle is as good as the initial offering.
One last observation, while I preferred the flavor/strength of the JdN, I did like both of these cigars. The only drawback of the first one was the burn issue which may or not be an ongoing issue. I guess I'll just have to go thru the bundle to find out.

Last edited by spiridon; 12-16-2013 at 04:04 AM.
spiridon is offline   Reply With Quote