Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Pipe Room

Pipe Room A place for the discussion of Pipes and Pipe Tobaccos.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-31-2005, 11:59 AM   #1
tandblov
Club Member

Great Pipe Experience

A great experience that I must pass on....

The wife and I went down to Portland (Or) this weekend for a little R&R. When we go down I make a point of going down to Rich's and Cascade to browse and purchase something good. We have a couple decent tobbaconists in Seattle, but nothing like downtown Portland. Richs is a old store that has been around for what seems like forever.

Anyway I was planning on picking up a new pipe, since I've been getting into it since last may. I was thinking about a peterson sitter. I walked in and there was a display in the pipe section that consisted of at least 100 pipes. These were out on display tables and were all Bjarnes. I looked on the counter I saw a flyer that advertised Bjarne being at Richs that day. I turned around a low and behold, there is the old dane himself explaining something to another customer about his pipes. Cool, here I happen to unknowlingly walk into this store on the day that Bjarne has brought a huge stash and was talking to customers. I then found out that everything was 20% off. YIPPIE! So I ask him a few questions, browse every pipe he had and settled on 2! Yep, hell for 20% off I could get 2 and justify to the wife after all, the pipe maker was in the store. Picked up a tin of Across the Pond and got Bjarne to sign the pipe bags. He found out Im of danish decent and that we named our son after a famous dane and so we proceeded to talk about Denmark, make of fun of norweigens, and other stuff until some other customers had some questions and he had to get back to business.

All in All a very nice guy with a tremedous selection. I don't think its possible to have had that variety of choices at any other time. Not to mention that almost every pipe enthusiast in northern OR seemed to show up that morning.

BTW, I picked up a strait-grain free hand sitter with a natural finish, and a strait sandblasted dublin (at least close to a dublin) total coming to 130. I couldn't justify spending 300 on a pipe cosidering my soon to be purchase of an aristocrat plus 48, but he had some VERY NICE pieces.

good to be me!!!

Ill post pictures later...I just wanted to pass this on.

TJ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SSg4mhlm6Hg
tandblov is offline   Reply With Quote