Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-15-2017, 08:57 PM   #1
bigipps

Romeo y Julieta lonsdale

This is a review of the Romeo y Julieta Reserva Real Lonsdale (6.62 x 44). I ordered a corona sampler, but the vendor took liberty with the sizes of the cigars…oh well. It has a 44 gauge, so sort of corona like, I believe, but a little short of the Churchill size named for one of the brand’s most famous devotee’s, Sir Winston Churchill, that is a 7 x 47 size cigar.

This cigar has a Connecticut-shade Ecudorian wrapper with Nicaraguan fillers.

Prelight, I get some grassy, young tobacco, and pencil shaving scents. The draw is good and overall construction feels solid. The first few puffs are smooth, although fairly light in body.

A little research on the Romeo y Julieta brand reveals it is a historic brand, going back to the pre-1900’s, at least for the Cubans. The brand was moved to La Romana in the Dominican Republic, where production for the US remains today, under the direction of Altadis SA.

A few minutes in, and the smoke remains light in body, but smooth. Not much as to flavors. I get the feeling this is a smoke that can’t go wrong, but won’t ever come close to knocking your socks off. I do note that the ash is not strong with this one, it seems to ash on its own frequently at under half an inch length. I’m not sure how much it really matters, but being trained to expect a strong ash = good cigar, it is a little surprising given the good foundation that the cigar otherwise has.

Overall, I was hoping to be reassured that there was a basic solid smoke in a brand that I felt was a standard. But, maybe because of the ashing, maybe because of the light body presented, I couldn’t help but feeling very underwhelmed.

Oh well, on to the next one.

Last edited by bigipps; 12-15-2017 at 08:59 PM.
bigipps is offline   Reply With Quote