Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-10-2008, 10:00 PM   #1
Black Plague
Herf Meister

Cubao No. 3 Lancero

This is Don Pepin's newest cigar for EO Brands (part of United Tobacco Inc.), for whom he also produces the various 601 lines and Mi Barrio. Cubao is possibly named after the neighborhood of Cubao, part of Quezon City, Philippines, but contains no Philippine tobacco. It is composed of a binder and filler blend of Garcia's speciality, Nicaraguan tobacco, with a material new to Pepin for the wrapper: Ecuadorian Sumatra Oscuro.

Cubao
No. 3
7 1/2 x 38 Lancero

Prelight: Despite being labeled an Ecuadorian Sumatra Oscuro, the wrapper to me seemed to be more along the line of colorado maduro. It had a dark-stained walnut color to it. Small, pale veins and a slightly lumpy appearance. Semi-gloss sheen to it and a slippery smooth feel. The cap was a very nicely-applied lancero pigtail. Cut easily and prelight tasting revealed strong nicotine and spice, hot peppers, and a light, clean tobacco base.

Beverage: Crown Royal Cask No. 16 Blended Canadian Whisky Finished in Cognac Oak Casks.

Flavor: The cigar lit very easily, just burning the narrow foot into red coals with my butane torch. The first draw gave dark chocolate sweetness, earthy undertones of fresh soil, and light to medium spice like a mild pepper. Undertones of cedar became apparently on the finish. Most perplexing of all was a low acidic tartness like vinegar. It seemed to meld seemlessly with the spice to create the impression of stone-ground mustard. Vanilla, medium-roasted coffee, and mild tobacco.

One-third down, I noticed some tannins on the finish and, judging by the full feeling in my stomach, it became apparent that this is was a strong cigar. Medium-full in body. Still some bits of the vinegary tang, spice beginning to grow milder, coffee, and cane sugar sweetness. Tasting with the Crown Royal Cask No. 16 brought out some of the sweetness, adding some of its oak flavor to the mix, and turning the vinegar acidity into a more citric tang. Base layer of flavors was now medium tobacco sharing space with a growing herbaceous quality.

Two-thirds down, there was some ammoniac qualities derived when taking very small draws. In bigger draws, this took on a kind of sweaty, musty, barnyard sort of finish that immediately reminded me of the taste of younger Cuban H. Upmanns. The herbal flavor increased in intensity against medium tobacco. Spice was mild, down to a black pepper tingle on the finish.

Construction: Excellent. Burned straight with no corrections. Draw was perfect. Ash was medium gray and held well. Even lit effortlessly with just a lighter and not so much as a puff to stoke the flames.

Summary: Don Pepin has done it again! Many have wondered, with the multitude of lines Pepin has been producing for different companies, if the overall quality of his brands will suffer from being stretched too thin. I believe the answer is not just, "No," but, "Hell no!"

Perhaps the answer lies in the fact that Pepin's skill is in acquiring and blending, not cultivating, tobacco. In a family such as the Fuentes, who control the entire cigar-making process from seedling to cigar, so many brands might present a problem. As long as Garcia is able to purchase high-quality tobacco from many different vegas, he seems to be able to consistently churn premium cigars with many different blends and marcas.

Cubao is already a world-class cigar, tasting equally rich and strong in both larger (I've previously tried the No. 4 Robusto) and smaller ring gauges. The presence of tannins and slight ammoniac traces lead me to believe that this cigar can only get better with more time in the box.

Overall, whether you want to enjoy it now or lay them down to age, I think Cubao is an excellent cigar and one of Pepin Garcia's best yet.
Black Plague is offline   Reply With Quote