Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-03-2007, 06:58 PM   #1
GTS21

JL Obus & Yalumba 50 YO tawny port

The setting: A cool and breezy early Summer evening on the deck...

The cigar: Juan Lopez Obus (2006 French regional release)

Paired with: Yalumba Australian 50 YO tawny port

Some things in life just go together. Peanut butter and jelly, steak and potatoes, Wilkey (Ginseng) and electron microscopes. And cigars and port. Although I don’t typically pair cigars with spirits, I’ve always enjoyed a good port and this seemed like the perfect occasion to sample a bottle given to me recently by a truly generous fellow smoker.

I chose this cigar from a 10 ct. box and realized right away by the feel and heft of the cigar that I may be in for a firm draw. Unfortunately, I was correct. In retrospect, I probably should have chosen another cigar. This cigar sported a smooth colorado wrapper, very minimal veins, and little to no visible tooth. As mentioned previously, the cigar felt solid and firm, perhaps too firm.

I clipped the top and encountered a VERY firm draw, too firm for my tastes. By clipping off more and more of the head of the cigar, I was able to finally get to a point where the draw was acceptable. Not great, but acceptable.

I toasted and lit the foot and was hit with notes of pepper, spice and toasted nuts. Perhaps a little sugary bread and wood as the cigar progressed. Frankly, the youthful “spice” of this cigar was too strong (IMHO) to really allow me to discern any more complex underlying flavors. The overly firm draw probably didn’t help the situation. An enjoyable cigar nevertheless.

Here’s what really made the evening special – the Yalumba tawny port, 50 YO, made in Australia. What an incredible complement to the Obus. In fact, I’d wager that this particular port would pair well with a wide variety of medium-full bodied cigars.

This port is a beautiful reddish amber. The fragrance upon opening the bottle suggested a strong alcohol-infused wood flavor, but this couldn’t have been farther from the truth. The first sip was an explosion of flavors, sweet caramel, caramelized sugar, dried fruits. Smooth and creamy, the port soothed my pallet between puffs on the Obus, leaving me with a heavenly nutty caramel finish lingering after each sip. IMHO, this port outclassed the Obus, and is deserving of a more mature cigar, one that has had time to settle down and “find” its flavors.

What a way to spend an evening.