Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-20-2007, 03:32 PM   #1
shrink
Club Member

Partagas 8-9-8 Varnished (GSO FEB06)

The 8-9-9V is Partagas’ interpretation of the classic dalia. This vitola is not only pleasing aesthetically, but ergonomically as well. And lying within its’ traditional 8-9-8 varnished cedar hinged-top box, it simply couldn’t be any more impressive. A truly elegant presentation.

I unsnapped the small brass clasp, lifted the lid, and inhaled deeply. The pre-light scents were pure Partagas: fertile barnyard, sweet wood and spice, infused with warm, aromatic cedar. The cigar I selected was perfectly crafted, and consistently firm to the touch. As I passed it closely under my nose, there was the strong and distinct scent of dry cocoa powder. The smell was intoxicating, and the medium brown wrapper was smooth and finely veined.

My dalia yielded readily to the flame, and greeted me with mouthfuls of dense, spicy and moderately peppered smoke. I wish that every cigar burned and drew this well. The cigar soon settled into the characteristic 898V flavor profile. The dominant taste is one of tanned leather and sweet decaying wood, with notes of cedar, cinnamon and other baking spices. As the cigar progressed, it revealed layer upon layer of paprika-like, peppery spice. Rich Partagas spice that coated my mouth and tantalized my senses.

The smoke was thick and creamy, with a mouthfeel that reminded me of a chocolate mousse, in texture if not in its cocoa-dusted flavor. It almost seemed to melt with each slow, deliberate exhalation. As I expelled it through the nose, a mist of white pepper created a tingling effervescence, which was progressively overshadowed by a contrasting crushed black pepper essence that left my tongue and lips burning deliciously in anticipation of the next draw.

By the halfway point, I was captivated by the richness and complexity of this prodigy, which by then had completely encompassed my attention. It had become full-bodied, and the spice profile began to take on a meaty, charbroiled quality, similar to a pepper-encrusted filet still sizzling from the BBQ grill. The finish had a delightful citrus tang – lightly sweetened lemon chiffon that simply floated as it dissolved in my mouth. The cigar was providing its own dessert! The effect was mesmerizing, and utterly mouth-watering.

For a cigar with only about a year of box age, this was a stunningly mature, and almost perfectly balanced smoke. It incorporates the lushness of the Seleccion Privada with the strength and complexity of the Serie du Connaisseur. The only element that wasn’t fully developed was the tobacco sweetness, which hovered in the background and was more apparent in the finish than in the draw. However, experience with the marca tells me that this will develop within several years.

The finale was a spicy command performance, in which all the flavors competed for prominence, but ultimately yielded to the peppery elements. The underlying strength of this cigar wasn’t completely evident until after I had snubbed it out, and had taken a long drink to quench my tingling lips. I sat for several minutes, just savoring the aftertaste, and wondered how I was going to afford the boxes that I knew I was going to order.

Easily the most compelling and complex Partagas cigar I have smoked from the class of 2006. A masterpiece now, and a classic in the making.