Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-28-2007, 11:37 PM   #1
shrink
Club Member

Bolivar Petit Corona (KBE MAY05)

It was a beautiful clear evening in the High Sierra, with a nearly full moon and a cool breeze drifting down from the mountains. So, I put on Claude Debussy, featuring the poeme Claire de Lune, and went out on the deck to commune with the spirits of the night.

I had broken into a cab of Bolivar Petit Coronas, which have been resting for nearly two years. The one I sampled a year ago was strong and tasty, but too young and sharp, so back to sleep they went. Well, a little rest has surely done them good.

What a lovely little cigar. Golden brown wrapper, and uniformly firm in the hand, with just the right amount of spring to the touch. Simon Bolivar looked on proudly with his enigmatic Mona Lisa smile. The unlit scent was pure, ripe tobacco. My lips were met with a medley of peppery spices. Nice.

The cigar opened with draughts of full-bodied toasty tobacco, leaving nuances of crushed black pepper on my tongue. Still pretty strong, I thought. I closed my eyes, and let the cigar slowly reveal its secrets.

Surprisingly, it transported me to memories of a ripe, lush fruit salad. Tart apple slices drizzled with lemon honey. Hints of bittersweet orange zest. Plump raisins dipped in white chocolate. Cardomom and white pepper tickling my nose. All in perfect harmony. Every element was balanced in strength and complexity. A work of tobacco art, beautiful in its creation and its magnificent destruction.

The finish was memorably sweet and spicy. White grape juice. Mildly astringent burnt oak. Rubbed cardomom with a crescendo of white and red pepper sizzling gently on my tongue.

Everything was just right. The night, the music, and the cigar. I can sleep soundly now.