Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Community Centers > I'll Drink to That!

I'll Drink to That! What is your favorite beverage to have with a cigar? Juice? Cola? Beer? Port? Single Malt Scotch? This room is for the discussion of beverages, especially alcoholic beverages that go well with cigars!

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-22-2011, 09:24 AM   #1
jazznut
Managing Editor Emeritus
Herf God

PC8 = Yummers!

Just nabbed a couple of bottles of the latest Bruichladdich batch of Port Charlotte Single Malt Scotch Whisky (PC8 for short).

For those of you who aren't sure of what this one's about, it represents Bruichladdich Distillery's unique take on a medium to fully peated Islay whisky that commemorates the spirit of the Port Charlotte Distillery, which operated a little further up the Loch Indaal coastline between 1829 and 1929. (Bruichladdich actually has plans in the works to reopen a separate distillery there.)

There have been 4 releases in this series (PC5, PC6, PC7 and now PC8). The latest version is aged exclusively in American oak, and bottled at cask strength (60.5%ABV).

My initial impressions: Very clean and very drinkable whisky. Lots of salted lemons and a lovely overlay of persistent, delicately earth-tinged smokiness that melds effortlessly with the fruit-malt aspect. Not terribly complex given the relatively young (8 years) age, but quite delicious nevertheless. A little water (one or two drops) opens it all up nicely.

Value: It is a little on the expensive side (as are many of the Bruichladdich bottlings), but you get what you pay for.

Bottom line: I challenge anyone who enjoys Islay whiskies to keep from pouring a second dram of this one!