Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Talk

Cigar Talk A place for cigar enthusiasts to discuss our hobby, legal cigars and related stuff.

Old 12-20-2017, 07:38 PM   #1
Ringo
Club Member

Major score today

Major score today. Full box of Dunhill, sealed box of La Corona and some vintage Partagas. (and there are more where these came from.) BTW - the La Corona were made in Trenton. The customs label says imported from Cuba and hand rolled with long filler. I may have hit the jackpot!

Last edited by Ringo; 12-20-2017 at 07:41 PM.
Ringo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 08:01 PM   #2
grtrx
Contributing Editor
Herf God

enjoy

I hope they are all you think they will be

"A sick thought can devour the body's flesh more than fever or consumption." - Guy de Maupassant
grtrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 08:43 PM   #3
Ringo
Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grtrx View Post
enjoy

I hope they are all you think they will be
Thank you! Only one way to find out!
Old 12-21-2017, 05:13 AM   #4
ak2000
Charter Member
Herf God

Interesting...enjoy!!
JLOH #19
ak2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 11:34 AM   #5
Ringo
Club Member

Thanks guys. I am learning a lot of new things. For one, the La Coronas, while being rolled in Tampa, are not clear Havanas at all. They are 100% Cuban hand rolled long filler. The La Corona factory had problems in Cuba and could not work them out so in 1932 they moved the entire factory to Trenton, NJ. They had the tobacco shipped in from Cuba but everything else was done in Trenton. All La Coronas of the time period were Cuban and rolled by Cubans. I like the sound of that.

And I discovered this about the Dunhills - They were called La Flor del Punto. Very little is known about this Dunhill-exclusive brand. It is believed to have been introduced sometime in the 1970s and produced in the Partagás Factory.

Sounds promising!

I just found this, about the Dunhills (La Flor del Punto) "After the Revolution, Dunhill's unique relationship with Cuban cigars would continue with the Communist government's tobacco monopoly, Cubatabaco. Dunhill was given the exclusive rights to three different brands: Don Cándido, its own Don Alfredo, and La Flor del Punto, plus the numerous Selección Suprema sizes produced by the marques that had survived nationalization."

Last edited by Ringo; 12-21-2017 at 12:26 PM.
Old 12-21-2017, 05:01 PM   #6
BigO
Publisher/Owner
El Chefé
BBQ Guru
Herf God

Trenton I would have never guessed. New Orleans was a big city for cigar making. Given it's proximity to Cuba and being a major port, that makes some sense.

My problem with vitolas that old, I'd be too afraid to smoke them and ruin the auction value.

Free speech is free speech is free speech. There is no qualifier.

If you aren't outraged, you aren't paying attention.

Never attribute malice to that what can be explained as stupidity.

Unborn lives matter too.

BigO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 06:00 PM   #7
Ringo
Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigO View Post
Trenton I would have never guessed.
Among the cigar factories in (Trenton) was the Henry Clay and Bock Company, which made La Corona and other cigars out of Cuban tobacco. Winston Churchill was a loyal customer.

Check this link out for more information about the Trenton cigar factories - http://www.nytimes.com/2003/09/14/ny...-industry.html

And check this out - this is what I have - https://www.cigar.com/p/la-corona-c-...igars/1491082/

Last edited by Ringo; 12-21-2017 at 06:06 PM.
Old 12-22-2017, 06:38 AM   #8
BigO
Publisher/Owner
El Chefé
BBQ Guru
Herf God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo View Post
Among the cigar factories in (Trenton) was the Henry Clay and Bock Company, which made La Corona and other cigars out of Cuban tobacco. Winston Churchill was a loyal customer.

Check this link out for more information about the Trenton cigar factories - http://www.nytimes.com/2003/09/14/ny...-industry.html

And check this out - this is what I have - https://www.cigar.com/p/la-corona-c-...igars/1491082/
Well, I learned something new today! Tampa and New Orleans I knew about (Google Simon Herscheim). Trenton surprised me.

Free speech is free speech is free speech. There is no qualifier.

If you aren't outraged, you aren't paying attention.

Never attribute malice to that what can be explained as stupidity.

Unborn lives matter too.

BigO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 08:23 PM   #9
grtrx
Contributing Editor
Herf God

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigO View Post

My problem with vitolas that old, I'd be too afraid to smoke them and ruin the auction value.
same goes with really old wine, it is collected but usually not to be drunk. I would think the same would hold for cigars. Still collected long after they are smokable. But we all get to spend our money the way we want to spend it.

"A sick thought can devour the body's flesh more than fever or consumption." - Guy de Maupassant
grtrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 08:24 PM   #10
Ringo
Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo View Post
And I discovered this about the Dunhills - They were called La Flor del Punto. Very little is known about this Dunhill-exclusive brand. It is believed to have been introduced sometime in the 1970s and produced in the Partagás Factory.
No I was wrong about this. It all fit together but I managed to find a single picture of a box of them and they are different. So I am back to square one on those. I wrote to cigar.com, they sell aged and rare cigars in their luxury collection. They referred me to someone who works with the cigars in the luxury collection. I wrote so I am just waiting for the reply. But they might not recognize them either. I would like to get in touch with one of those guys in Hong Kong who deal in rare cigars. I am sure they would know but I cannot find a way to contact them.

Update - I was able to send messages with photos to two of the Hong Kong guys, hopefully they will write back.

Last edited by Ringo; 12-22-2017 at 08:40 PM.