Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Community Centers > I'll Drink to That!

I'll Drink to That! What is your favorite beverage to have with a cigar? Juice? Cola? Beer? Port? Single Malt Scotch? This room is for the discussion of beverages, especially alcoholic beverages that go well with cigars!

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-09-2004, 10:09 AM   #1
jazznut
Managing Editor Emeritus
Herf God

"Good Greek Charlie Brown!"

Rapsani Réserve 1997
Appellation d"origine de Qualité supériore epilegmenos
Evangelos Tsantalis s.a. - 12.5% alcohol by volume

I admit I picked this one up largely owing to its having won a Médaille d'Or at the Sélections Mondiales 2002 Montréal. But the fact it already had 6+ years of age on it and cost less than $20CDN also tempted me.

Lovely silky texture with an abundance of sun-ripened plummy fruit. Very well-integrated tannic and acidic structure with sufficient 'stuffing' to warrant a further 3 to 5 years of cellaring. Subtle hints of earthiness, such as one encounters in Tuscan or Umbrian reds, counterpoint the fruitiness. Delicious.

I served it with sliced roast leg of lamb with a side of garlic, sun-dried tomato and Kalamata olive penne tossed in first cold pressed extra virgin olive oil and topped with grated parmesan.
An ideal match.

Tsantalis also produces a younger and less expensive cuvée (less than $14CDN) which is also quite tasty.