Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-10-2012, 01:58 PM   #1
gumby
Contributing Editor
MOM November 2012 Emeritus
Honorary MOM November 2021
Herf God

My Ongoing Review of Domestic Cigars AK2000 Gifted Me

On another thread speaking about habanos I made the comment that I prefer them. AK2000 weighed in supporting domestics. This surprised me because he is someone whose opinion on habanos has been highly valued for years around these parts. So for him to say he has shifted to domestics surprised me. I conceded that at this date I know very little as far as what are some outstanding domestics. I used to smoke a lot of Camacho Diplomas and ERDM robusto largos but it's been a while. So AK2000 proceeds to bomb with a great assortment of domestics to try. As I smoke different ones I will add it to this thread.

Tatajaue (spelling?) not sure which one but it looks to be about a 5 x50?

Great presentation and love the old style band, reminiscent of a Monte. This cigar has earned it's reputation. Loved the complexity and nuances to the cigar, and it held a nice tight ash for the entire very even burn. Great draw throughout. Definitely a cigar that I want more of and would recommend. On a scale of 5 I'd give it a 4.75

Cain Daytona smaller ring gauge, which for me is a perfect size during the blazing Texas summer.
I have never heard of this brand and know nothing about them.
The presentation is eye catching with the band placed at the foot of the cigar. Great construction of the cigar and wonderfulpre-light smell. This being a smaller cigar I was really impressed with the richness of the taste. I was also impressed with how slowly it burned. It might be little but it still took a while to finish. Great draw throughout. Another great cigar and one that I not only want more of but want to learn more about their history. On a scale of 5 I'd give it a 4.

La Aurora 107 smaller ring gauge, possibly a 5 x42? Nice dark wrapper with lots of rough viens running through out, my guess a maduro. Nice presentation and very nice on the nose pre-light. But things went downhill from there. The first 1/4 was a tar bomb. The other thing that became apparent is that it was a loose cigar, burning quickly and somewhat raggedly. I was honestly about to give up on it when at about the half way point it settled down. No longer a tar bomb but pretty one dimensional for my liking and it burned really hot. This is not one I would buy more of, but that is the fun of trying new cigars. On a scale of 5 I'd give it somewhere less than a 2.

MK Illusione Another cigar in the smaller ring gauge that I like in the Texas summers. Simply beautiful cigar. VEry plain jane band, at first I thought it was a band that Andy had placed on it. This cigar was firmly packed and just really well constructed. Started out kind of one dimensional and harsh but with a nice tight ash. At about the halfway point though it started to get interesting. Nice depth of flavors and really rich amounts of smoke. Easy draw. The depth of flavors was not nearly as good as the first two I reviewed, but fairly decent. I wouldn't be buying a box of this cigar, but if it was what was available as a single I surely wouldn't kick her out of bed either. On a scale of 5 I'd give it a 3.

La Aurora Corojo Love the construction and overall first impression, nice banding and just a really attrative cigar. I fell for corojo's a while back when Camacho Diplomas came out so I was really looking forward to trying this one. The cigar burned very evenly, nice medium-level ash, ie not the tighest I have seen but it held a really good ash. Lots of smoke and a very consistent flavor profile throughout, not overly complex by any means but nice, with most of the flavor profile hitting the front of my tongue. I enjoyed this cigar. Not sure it would be my choice if in a B&M looking to spend some money, but a very enjoyable smoke. I'd give it a 3.5 out of 5.

Rocky Patel Vintage 2003 Cameroon Ok, so this wan't one of the one's that AK gifted me, but in the spirit of comparing quality domestics against habanos this was screamed for me to try it. What a beautiful cigar, extremely well rolled, and the double blue bands just look great. Great overall presentation. This baby burned smooth, even, with lots of great smoke. It was a little one dimensional for the first third (but still very enjoyable) but then it got really interesting. My mouth exploded with flavors all over my tongue, developing into a really rich and fairly complex smoke. None of that habanos twang I am so fond of, but I smoked this one to the nub and thoroughly enjoyed it. 4.5 out of 5.

Kristoff Ok, this is another one that wasn't in AK's gift basket but it is his fault that I am trying all of these new domestics lol. Picked this up at a local B&M. This was a great PC or similar size. Very well rolled: firm but not too tight. With me working around the grill and not being careful with it it held a tight ash for almost half of the cigar. This was just a really, really great cigar. Wish I knew more about them, ie who makes them, etc. I loved this cigar and will look for more of them. 4.8 out of 5

Thomas Jefferson

Last edited by gumby; 08-10-2012 at 06:36 PM.
gumby is offline   Reply With Quote