Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-15-2006, 06:11 PM   #1
EZthefix
Starting Member

Rocky Patel Sun Grown Robusto

Rocky Patel Sun Grown Robusto
Posted by E.Z. under Cigar Reviews (Photos)

There is something about a Cuban cigar's wrapper that I find very distinct and appealing. They are generally buttery and come packed with a generous dose of chilli pepper that can be sensed from the moment the cigar is tasted before lighting—I just love that sweet spicy hot sensation.

In general, I find that even the best tobacco growers from Nicaragua, Honduras, and the Dominican Republic have a difficult time reproducing this. The Rocky Patel Sun Grown Ecuadorian wrapper, though, in my opinion, comes mightily close.

It is an absolutely well put together cigar: a good cap, even bunch, solid feel, and that wonderful semi-sweet caramel aroma of the wrapper. Cuban cigars often lack the spotless, flawless construction that these sticks have.

At first taste, I got a wonderful peppery taste. The pre-light draw revealed a bit of graphite, which I tend to associate with my favorite Cuban cigar, the PSD4. This is a cigar that I really enjoy from start to finish. It is simply perfect for those who appreciate the entire cigar smoking ritual; and I certainly do.

A good light, and the smoke yielded is very well balanced from the start: dense, rich, and with a very good dose of pepper to counter the semi sweet notes. In one word, I would classify the smoke as elegant.

The spice and pepper subside in the second third, and the smoke becomes more chewy. The semisweet caramel notes are extremely satisfying and bare a light cacao undertone. As the cigar progresses, the caramel notes increasingly become rather earthy while retaining the sweet scent that reminds me of the smell I typically associate with that of a fine pipe.

All the flavors intensify and darken past the half way point and before long a great espresso note sets in; a note that deepens in the last third and coats the taste buds with an awesome, long finish. That sun grown Ecuadorian wrapper is simply delightful.
EZthefix is offline   Reply With Quote