Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Talk

Cigar Talk A place for cigar enthusiasts to discuss our hobby, legal cigars and related stuff.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-02-2016, 11:07 AM   #11
Briandg
CW Squirrel Wrangler
Herf God

A conical ash is created when the ligero is run down the middle of the bunch, the lighter leaf burns more easily and it is layered over the ligero. As the tobacco burns, burning from the outside of the cigar inward, the ligero in the center needs more heat and air to burn. It doesn't burn until it is absolutely surrounded by smoldering filler. Doesn't always work that way, but that's the theory, proper construction and leaf that performs in the desired manner will allow this to work.

Tooby type cigars don't have that. It's rolled into loose clumps, bunched together, squashed into a cigar shape, and wrapped. Sure, there is going to be a lot of extra air flow for a couple of reasons, but most importantly, it's going to be like smoking several smaller bunches at the same time, and you don't have the "stick down the middle" form that will allow a cone to form.

I don't think that a tube type bundled bunch is such a great idea, but having almost no experience with them, take this with a grain of salt.

One of the things that I absolutely hate the most in a cigar is when the thing burns with a cratered foot. Freakin despise having to torch off most of the wrapper as I smoke, wasting the tobacco that is supposed to be the best of the blend. Might as well just trown it the hell away and smoke the filler in a bong.

Another thing that I hate with a passion is a loose bunch. I suspect that the tooby type is going to have a lot o air space, plenty of room to squish down. If I find myself with a cigar that has squished down to a flat wad that's less than half the thickness of the unsmoked cigar, it makes me want to heave it into the next county. I would smoke a much less pleasing smoke that burned perfectly than to find the very best blend possible and have it smoke like a turd.
Briandg is offline   Reply With Quote