Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-09-2002, 01:31 PM   #1
unklebill
Club Member

I donated this weeks cigar, which was a Hoyo de Monterey 135th Anniversary in natural. It scored 4 Stars with an average of 37 (38,38,40,26,41).

The reviews were fairly consistent on this cigar with everyone seeming to enjoy the cigar for different reasons. Most noted quite a bit of complexity and changes in character throughout the smoke, some of which are probably attributable to you. These cigars will undoubtedly improve with some aging. No one came close to identifying it as the flavor profile is very different than the regular HdM line.
Defining comments:
“I could have sworn I was smoking the Cuban ERDM Choix Supreme”
“Definitely smoked and felt like a cammi wrapped dominican.”
“would almost say it was a r&j bully”
“Very possibly of Fuente origin.”

Here are the full reviews:

Member: Unklebill
Const:3
Burn:4
Draw:5
Aroma:3
Flavor:8
Taste:7
Overall:8
Total:38
PreSmoke: 'This was a good-looking tan robusto with a large double cap and a perfect draw. The burn was even throughout but the wrapper did split in the middle, but did not effect the burn or smoke.'
Smoke: 'This cigar had a dual personality. The first half of the cigar had an unpleasant ammonia flavor that really clashed with it’s underlying distinct nutty/cashew flavors. Thankfully the ammonia gradually disappeared and at the halfway point it was gone and only the nuttiness was left. Then after smoking 2/3 of the cigar, I could have sworn I was smoking the Cuban ERDM Choix Supreme that I smoked this weekend.'
Summary: 'I would classify this cigar as medium flavored and full bodied, as I had quite a rush by the time I was finished with it. I think age will do allot of good for this cigar, maybe get rid of the ammonia, and I am excited about putting some away for aging.
This cigar is hard to rate because of its dual personality. I was very
disappointed with the first half, but by the end I was really enjoying it. Overall, the rewards of the second half were worth the unpleasantness of the first. A very unique smoke.'

Member: Emind56
Const:4
Burn:5
Draw:3
Flavor:7
Taste:8
Total:38
PreSmoke: 'A fine looking medium brown cigar. Exhibited only very small veining. This cigar had a nice firm bunch, however the capa was loosely and carelessly applied. Overall this cigar had good smoking
characteristics, straight burn no plugs, the only down side was IMO this cigar had a draw that was too loose, nothing terrible though.'
Smoke: 'This cigar began mild in flavor and strength, but developed into a nice medium bodied, medium strength smoke. Definitely smoked and felt like a cammi wrapped dominican. Taste wise, this cigar exhibited hints of coca, nuts, and leather. As the cigar progressed past the mid way point the smoke took on a very nice creamy tone, almost giving the impression of a cappucino. This cigar displayed a refined smooth character, with a pleasant finish. The only draw back was, a slight bitterness that was detected in the last half of the smoke'
Summary: 'Overall this was a fine specimen of (Dominican?) a cigar. Had a pleasant flavor profile. If you are a fan of cammi wrapped Dominican cigars this should be right up your alley. '

Member: Eduardo
Const:2
Draw:4
Aroma:4
Flavor:9
Total:40
PreSmoke: 'This cigar had a very rough cap and a flat looking non-oily
wrapper. It cut well and had a perfect draw.'
Smoke: 'I thought this smoke had a nice flavor, kinda nutty and spicy. It wasn’t real strong but had solid flavor. The burn was perfect down to the nub. I never had to touch it after it was lit.'
Summary: 'At first look I wouldn’t have given this smoke a chance. As I
commented the wrapper looked a little dry and the cap was sloppy. What a surprise after the light. It drew really well and had a wonderful flavor. As I said it was a little on the mild side as far as strength, but I enjoyed the flavor. I smoked this in the morning with coffee. This cigar would make a perfect morning smoke. I gave it a 40 for this reason.'

Member: Jojoscigars
Const:4
Burn:2
Draw:2
Flavor:5
Taste:5
Overall:5
Total:26
PreSmoke: 'very nice construction would almost say it was a r&j bully'
Smoke: 'started nice but then the burn want a little crazy half the cigar was burning and the other was not till about 3/4 the way in .then was a very nice finish'
Summary: 'other then the burn and being a little dry it would of been a
nice smoke '

Member: Grinnin
Const:5
Draw:4
Aroma:4
Flavor:7
Total:41
PreSmoke: 'Excellent construction, very nice looking 4 ½ x 50 robusto with a smooth finely veined light ems wrapper. Very light cedar aroma before lighting. Draw was a bit too easy. Perfect burn, stable white ash.'
Smoke: 'Typical Dominican type flavor on lighting, a little bitter and
metallic, but quickly turned into a mild overall and medium bodied smoke with a peppery bite and packed with cedar, herbs and spice flavors. An excellent cigar for its type of flavor profile. Medium tongue tingling finish. Had the flavor not gone flat in the last third, I would have given an extra point for flavor. Very possibly of Fuente origin.'
Summary: 'I personally prefer a different type of flavor profile in the
cigars I buy, but for those who prefer this type of cigar it is a superbly constructed excellent smoke'

Thanks to all the reviewers!!!!

BILL

"Lars: The Joe Camel of cigars"