Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-29-2009, 05:44 AM   #1
cigarreviews
Starting Member

Brickhouse from J.C. Newman

Original post w/ pics

Size: 5×54, Robusto

Wrapper: Havana Subido

Binder: Nicaraguan

Filler: Nicaraguan

Strength: Medium

Price: Box of 25, $108.99

Grade: 9.2

Today we take on another new release from the IPCPR show in New Orleans, the Brickhouse from J.C. Newman Cigars. This Nicaraguan puro has gotten a fair amount of buzz lately. This cigar is a resurrected blend from the J.C. company line, taken on by third generationers Eric and Bobby Newman. This is the second cigar resurrected, the first being the El Baton. The line was originally created by their grandfather, Julius Ceasar Newman, who founded J.C. Newman Cigar Company in 1895. The Brickhouse was originally created to honor Julius’ family history and the house he grew up in—the only bricked house in the neighborhood that doubled as the town tavern. This is definitely a tribute cigar that doesn’t disappoint!

I was shocked to see this one at my local B&M, as I usually have to travel north to Atlanta to find newer cigars. Both my review partner and myself were both pleased by this cigar and we are happy to review it today. So, let’s get this stick toasted!

Pre-light, 1.8:
The label on the Brickhouse is very sharp and classy. Gold, red, and black coloring surround an off-white base with embossed detail throughout. The exterior is rustic abd very leathery with some crisscrossing veins. It is densely packed and firm to the touch with no soft spots. It appears to have a double cap with a perfectly rounded foot. The aroma is sweet and syrupy and very earthy. The Brickhouse has a loose draw which was surprising because of the dense packing. The cold draw possesses some very strong earth notes but no sweetness.

Burn, 1.8:
The Brickhouse toasted very evenly and pulled perfectly. The smoke was thick and filled the garage and had a very sweet smell to it. I gave little attention to the smoke in between puffs as I worked on a Christmas toy for my son. The ash was very flakey and a bit loose throughout but the smoke did not require any touch ups. The ash was nicely colored and the only negatives to speak of were a slight tear in the wrapper at the two inch mark, which only developed after the heat hit it, and a small hole in the center of the ash. However, none of these created problems for the enjoyment of the smoke.

Flavor, 2.7:
The flavor on this Nicaraguan puro was great. The first third was all earth with a slight bit of strength in the back of the throat. I wouldn’t call it smooth to this point; it seems very rustic and takes on some raw and earthy flavors. The second third moved into a sweet creaminess that reminded me of molasses. I would have liked for this flavor profile to remain longer than it did but it quickly returned to the original flavors of earth to round out the final third of the smoke. The transitions on this smoke were very pleasing and the complexity of the smoke, combined with the medium body, made for a very relaxing cigar.

Overall, 2.9:
It is hard to believe this is a $5 smoke when it seems like all the new releases recently have been $8+. I’d have to say this cigar stands very closely to the CAO La Traviata for best value of the year. The heavy and smooth appearance, flawless burn, and very complex and enjoyable flavor profile make this an exceptional cigar at an exceptional value. It had a touch more body than what I prefer in a smoke, but I’d still contemplate making a box purchase on this and letting them rest. If you see these at your local B&M, don’t hesitate—pick up a handful, you’ll be glad you did. You may just find a less expensive version of some of the Nicaraguan Tatuajes.

(Total: 9.2)