Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Community Centers > Smokin Tunes

Smokin Tunes A place for musicians and music lovers (that also smoke cigars!) to discuss their passion.

Old 01-21-2018, 06:25 AM   #1
kevie49

(re)Discover an Album

What I seem to listen to regularly changes over time and an album that I played to death 5 years ago may not see the light of day now. But there are a few albums that I pull out now and again and they get a good bit of airtime for me.

The one that I seem to regularly seem to rediscover every couple of years or so is Southern Knights by Lynyrd Skynyrd. I play it regularly for a month before it goes back into hybernation.

My question is does anybody else have an album like this that they keep on coming back to?
kevie49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 06:06 AM   #2
mojoe
Herf God

Yep there are a few of those for me...

Pink Floyd's Animals and Wish You Were Here

Supertamp's Crisis What Crisis and Crime of the Century are the most resent ones.
Old 01-22-2018, 06:13 AM   #3
BigJohn
Chief Geek, @cigarweekly

Foreigner 4, the Who - who's best, and Spin Doctors "pocket full of kryptonite".

I'll also dip back for some classic singles, like Betty Davis Eyes (Kim carnes) and You ought to know (alanis morriset).

I'll hear something on the classic rock radio station here and it will trigger a nostalgia attack...
Help support the CigarWeekly webhost (me!) > Shop online? Start HERE: direct to Amazon.com
Protect your computer from VIRUSES > Get Avast!
BigJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 12:24 PM   #4
vernonator
Herf Meister

A few mentioned already (Pink Floyd)

My go-to album has always been Rush - Moving Pictures...it is very nearly THE perfect rock album.
It has everything - Radio Friendly (Tom Sawyer, Limelight), Crashing instrumental (YYZ), sci-fi story telling (Red Barchetta - my FAVORITE song of all time), Long Format (The Camera Eye). Perfect, absolutely perfect....

Last edited by vernonator; 01-24-2018 at 12:27 PM.
vernonator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 01:59 PM   #5
BigO
Publisher/Owner
El Chefé
BBQ Guru
Herf God

I have many of them, but most of you wouldn't know who they are. I have no doubts about anyone's musical knowledge or taste. It's that many of them are very obscure. And I don't mean weird, just didn't get enough airplay for people to be familiar.

For example, one of my all-time favorite albums is 'Til Tuesday, Welcome Home. Aimee Mann is a brilliant songwriter, but she's never gotten wide recognition. Just like any of the albums by Squeeze. You are probably familiar with Black Coffee in Bed, but few others. Difford and Tilbrook were one of the best songwriting team since Lennon and McCartney. There's always some XTC in my rotation.

You get the idea. I have very eclectic tastes in music. To me, music is an emotion and my favorite music has good or bad feelings linked to it.

Free speech is free speech is free speech. There is no qualifier.

If you aren't outraged, you aren't paying attention.

Never attribute malice to that what can be explained as stupidity.

Unborn lives matter too.

BigO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 03:09 PM   #6
kevie49

There's nothing wrong with eclectic tastes in music. I listen to a lot of music on Jamendo (it's all podsafe so I tend to use it for TuxJam and CCJam). Variety is the spice of life 🙂
kevie49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 03:52 PM   #7
BigO
Publisher/Owner
El Chefé
BBQ Guru
Herf God

I just didn't want anyone to think that I was saying that my taste was better. Just different.

Unborn lives matter too.

Old 06-13-2018, 09:04 AM   #8
Poohdvm
Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigO View Post
I just didn't want anyone to think that I was saying that my taste was better. Just different.
My tastes are wide, varied and obscure also. I always say I can pull out something you never heard and will love. I can also pull out something that will make you want to kick my ass!lol
Back on topic

I have a large collection of records and cds so stuff gets suffled out of recent memory all the time. I tend to go back and rediscover periods of music. Recently went back through stuff from High School, Styx, Journey, Iron Maiden, Judas Priest. Love "Number of the Beast".
Even pulled out some Adam Ant vinyl, lol.
Old 06-13-2018, 10:46 AM   #9
bsslack
Herf Meister

I'm always listening to music. I have a soft spot for Alt/pop new waveish 80's through the 2000's. I love the bands James, XTC, The Pogues, Joy Division, Inspiral Carpets, The Charlatans, Blur, The Smiths, Squeeze, The English Beat, The Fixx, Peter Gabriel, Blondie, The B-52's,The Lightning Seeds, Dandy Warhols, Depeche Mode, The Primatives, Echo and the Bunnymen, The Soup Dragons, The Alarm, INXS, Billy Bragg, Talking Heads, New Order and even a bit of the dark side like Sisters of Mercy, Bauhaus, Ministry, The Damned and the short lived The Bubble Men.

But, I grew up on 70's Rock Bands like Styx, Rush, Boston, Bachman Turner Overdrive, Fog-Hat, The Cars, Van Halen, Paul McCartney and Wings, The Doobie Brothers and uhm Kiss.

Then there's the odd ball stuff like Peter Murphy, Love and Rockets, The Euro Gliders, Clannad, The Drop Kick Murphy's, The Men, Ofra Haza, Loreena McKennett, Kula Shakar, Enigma, Vangelis, Rick Wakeman and Deep Forest.

Plus there's a bit of Classical as well, with the obvious nod to Mozart, Wagner and Holst, plus an almost unknown dude named Beethoven something.( they made several movies about his dog. ) I love live music, even an average band Live, is better than no band. I've seen the Borodin Trio twice. Again live music is cool.

I also love Catholic Mass on special event days. I've had near religious experiences all over the country on Easter, Christmas Mass and New Years Mass, in Amazing Cathedrals all over. (BTW I'm not being fatuous either)

Growing up in Texas I also appreciated musicians even if they happened to be playing Country Music. So. I know who they all are and can usually pick them out. However all bets are off with the new disco country music. hey, you can't like everything can ya?

I love unknown bands like Echo-Echo. The band formerly known as The Steve Carson Band. They were so close to making it big and yet no go. Check them out on Youtube. link

blob:https://www.youtube.com/43d8e412-3b6...0-3b38c4f829f1

Buddha Daddy turned me on to them when I lived in CA. I saw them several times. I even recorded them Live and made a home made DVD of their concert at the Corona CA Fender Museum.

There was a local Portland band that I really liked, They were called Seafood Mamma. They got some local AM/FM airtime and then got signed to a big label contract and made a few Albums in the 80's. But it was out with the seafood and in with Quarterflash. Harden Your Heart was a big hit and a few lesser known tracks followed. But, anyone from Portland will tell ya "Williams Avenue" is their favorite song. There's a really cool feeling when a band you watched in a local club or festival makes it to the radio. You feel like you are really connected with them. Good Music makes you feel things and that's the Real Magic about Music in general. It can make you feel things, remember things and if you are lucky it becomes the sound track to Your Life.

I have tons of albums downloaded into my PC and used to burn off discs as needed. But, technology is so greatly improved and with my new phone's 32 gig memory is 60% loaded with tunes, I'm good to go. I rotate through all of them and even have a little time left to sample new things, well a little. BTW this list will never complete.

Music is Life.

Cheers!

Do not Hold Your Heart's True Words, until they can only fall upon the saddened ears and broken hearts, already filled with the loudness of grief. -unk

...Quick to Judgement...Quick to Anger and Slow To Understand... -Rush (it was true then and it's still applies today.)

Remember EVERY American Soldier Past and Present.-You -Me -Everybody

Last edited by bsslack; 06-14-2018 at 09:33 AM. Reason: corrections
bsslack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 03:14 PM   #10
BigO
Publisher/Owner
El Chefé
BBQ Guru
Herf God

Damn, Brian. Your record collection and my record collection have some serious overlap. It would make one hell of a Venn diagram. You just named a bunch of artists whose names I haven't seen in print for a quarter century.

Ever heard of Tangerine Dream? I probably have close to 30 of their records.

Unborn lives matter too.