Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Community Centers > I'll Drink to That!

I'll Drink to That! What is your favorite beverage to have with a cigar? Juice? Cola? Beer? Port? Single Malt Scotch? This room is for the discussion of beverages, especially alcoholic beverages that go well with cigars!

Old 03-26-2016, 03:48 PM   #1
fvfanmc
Self Exiled
Herf God

Starbucks coffee

In the past we discussed why the coffee tasted burnt. The consensus was, that it was probably due to over brewing in those big commercial coffee machines.
What I decided to do was buy a bag of Starbuck's ground coffee and make a cup of coffee. I want to see if Starbuck's coffee is really as bad as it is in the Starbuck's coffee shops.

Last edited by fvfanmc; 03-26-2016 at 04:07 PM.
fvfanmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 08:14 PM   #2
jazznut
Managing Editor Emeritus
Herf God

I always thought it was due to over-roasting of the beans prior to the brewing process.
Old 03-27-2016, 04:27 AM   #3
fvfanmc
Self Exiled
Herf God

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazznut View Post
I always thought it was due to over-roasting of the beans prior to the brewing process.
That may be true as well. Once I make a cup, if it taste awful, then it probably is over-roasting. But, if it tastes decent, then it may be due to sitting in the brewing machine.
fvfanmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 04:33 AM   #4
debaire
Herf Meister

I heard a Starbucks guy say it's because cup for cup they use more coffee to brew than other people. What you're tasting is the full flavor of coffee that is otherwise diluted in the other guy's brews. Kind of makes sense but I don't know

Fine, twist my arm, I'll smoke a cigar.
RIP cubano67, knife
Full Flavor Federation (FFF) - Charter Member
debaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 05:21 AM   #5
Jester
Contributing Editor
Club Member

Coffee brewing is counter-intuitive. Adding more coffee allows the water to extract more of the flavorful (desirable) compounds in the roast. Less coffee forces the water to extract the remaining (more bitter, less desirable) compounds. So yes more coffee is better for the extraction, true. If that coffee also happens to be over-roasted it is gonna taste burnt no matter how much you use. It could taste burnt and bitter, or just burnt.

To my taster (and some others I know) Starbucks tastes burnt and one-dimensional. Either from the store or from the bag. That is why they have earned the moniker "Charbucks" in many coffee circles.

As with anything involving individual taste, YMMV.

Best,
J.

Last edited by Jester; 03-27-2016 at 06:29 AM. Reason: Speller is off this morning
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 07:24 AM   #6
BigO
Publisher/Owner
El Chefé
BBQ Guru
Herf God

That is an avid and accurate (IMO) description.

Free speech is free speech is free speech. There is no qualifier.

If you aren't outraged, you aren't paying attention.

Never attribute malice to that what can be explained as stupidity.

Unborn lives matter too.

BigO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 07:43 AM   #7
KatDad
Herf God

Yep, what they said.

The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule it
H. L. Mencken

The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants
Albert Camus

The Land of the Free Because of the Brave
KatDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 03:50 PM   #8
carmine7075
Herf God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Coffee brewing is counter-intuitive. Adding more coffee allows the water to extract more of the flavorful (desirable) compounds in the roast. Less coffee forces the water to extract the remaining (more bitter, less desirable) compounds. So yes more coffee is better for the extraction, true. If that coffee also happens to be over-roasted it is gonna taste burnt no matter how much you use. It could taste burnt and bitter, or just burnt.

To my taster (and some others I know) Starbucks tastes burnt and one-dimensional. Either from the store or from the bag. That is why they have earned the moniker "Charbucks" in many coffee circles.

As with anything involving individual taste, YMMV.

Best,
J.
My thought is that it was over roasted on purpose to encourage the consumer to order more sugary coffee drinks at $5-6 per cup.

Sent from my BNTV400 using Tapatalk
Old 05-04-2016, 03:57 PM   #9
flipflop
Contributing Editor
CW Butt Whisperer
Herf God

My wife loves Starbuck's coffee and she doesn't like sugary taste or any sugar in her coffee.

I drink it too, and I never found their coffee to be the least bit sugary.
-- Ghengis Khan
flipflop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 12:29 PM   #10
carmine7075
Herf God

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipflop View Post
My wife loves Starbuck's coffee and she doesn't like sugary taste or any sugar in her coffee.

I drink it too, and I never found their coffee to be the least bit sugary.

To clarify, the coffee is burnt on purpose to discourage the sale of black coffee at $1 and to encourage people to order vanilla Carmel macchiato mochacinos with whipped cream on top at $6 instead. I.e. To cover up the bitter...

Just my Starbucks subliminal marketing conspiracy theory.