Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Talk

Cigar Talk A place for cigar enthusiasts to discuss our hobby, legal cigars and related stuff.

Old 06-30-2018, 08:02 AM   #11
xrundog
Contributing Editor
Herf Meister

It stands to reason that taste is pretty important. Cooking competitions show the same concept. A judge will say that the presentation is poor but that the dish tastes delicious. It will merit a shrug but nobody is upset about it. The reverse is always bad. If someone makes a pie mistakenly uses salt instead of sugar, nobody wants to eat it.
xrundog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 01:17 PM   #12
Briandg
CW Squirrel Wrangler
Herf God

I will smoke an average tasting cigar if it is built well. I haven't smoked mixed filler in maybe fifteen years and I may never smoke another.

what do I deem to be bad construction? Mushy. that's the worst thing for me. when that thing can be squeezed into a cracker thin piece, that's absolutely unacceptable.

Burn problems. If the thing forms tunnels, or burns hollow, that is partly because of the way I smoke, and it's partly because the roller had the talent of a dung beetle. It may be because the wrapper and binder are as tough as old canvas, but still, a person should not have to torch off every bit of the wrapper just to get to the filler. That is a sign, to me, that the maker and roller don't give a damn.

Over the years, I've smoked some good cigars, but nothing in the world can tempt me to buy one that I know is going to be an ordeal to smoke. I've given away hundreds of cigars that I didn't want to keep simply because the construction sucked and I got no enjoyment out of smoking them.

This hobby is all about relaxation. Sit down. Empty the mind. read, drink, watch the bees, compose poetry, or whatever, but whatever, I want that cigar to take care of itself.
Briandg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 08:53 AM   #13
Briandg
CW Squirrel Wrangler
Herf God

Yesterday was a perfect example of what I really hate. I cut a toro, it was exactly what I wanted, I had the time, and the mood for that one. I expected it to last just about as long as the story that I was reading.

Oh, gee, the draw was tight and I didn't think that it would smoke well. Set it aside, looked and looked for a substitute and finally decided on a robusto. Cut it, seemed just fine, but dammit, the thing burned hollow and I wound up burning it away and throwing it out long before I had wanted to. I didn't finish my reading. The problems with draw and construction RUINED my smoking time.

I came inside in a better mood than I had when I went out, so it wasn't an absolute failure, but the only reason I was in a better mood was that it made me focus on a different and smaller annoyance.

FYI, it doesn't matter how old your kids get, they will still make you tear out your hair.

Beer and cigars.
Briandg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 11:50 PM   #14
La Corojo

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyBB View Post
I weigh in on the flavor is more important than construction. Of course, as has been said, if the thing disintegrates in your hand or the ash tray, that's a real issue. I will tolerate short filler/mixed filler ash or even long filler ash falling off before I tolerate a bad tasting cigar.
My feelings exactly, I will suffer though burn and construction related problems as long as I enjoy the flavor, not vice versa. If it tastes bad, I just can't make myself keep smoking it.
La Corojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 07:44 AM   #15
beevod
Herf God

Flavor comes first. But, a great-tasting but under-filled cigar can ruin even the best smoking experience.
Old 07-02-2018, 07:50 AM   #16
Smokestack Jack
Herf God

Taste is tops for me. Construction I can put up with unless the cigar is plugged. I think there are several degrees of construction. If the cigar is soft, I can put up with it. If the cigar unravels, I can put up with it, but if the cigar is plugged. I throw it away.
Old 07-02-2018, 02:35 PM   #17
BigO
Publisher/Owner
El Chefé
BBQ Guru
Herf God

Argybargy has struck the magazine. I take a contrary POV.

Check it out.

Free speech is free speech is free speech. There is no qualifier.

If you aren't outraged, you aren't paying attention.

Never attribute malice to that what can be explained as stupidity.

Unborn lives matter too.

BigO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 04:10 PM   #18
xrundog
Contributing Editor
Herf Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigO View Post
Argybargy has struck the magazine. I take a contrary POV.

Check it out.
Your GTO review? You are firmly in the taste camp.
Old 07-11-2018, 12:40 PM   #19
xrundog
Contributing Editor
Herf Meister

Seems like the general consensus is:

Nobody wants a shitty looking, badly made cigar. But if it tastes good, most of us will suffer through it.

A good looking, well rolled tobacco cylinder that tastes bad won't last very far into the cigar.

Taste wins!