Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Community Centers > I'll Drink to That!

I'll Drink to That! What is your favorite beverage to have with a cigar? Juice? Cola? Beer? Port? Single Malt Scotch? This room is for the discussion of beverages, especially alcoholic beverages that go well with cigars!

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-11-2008, 02:45 PM   #1
rockace521
Herf God

Highland Park

After several failed attempts owing to people snaffling them up before I could get a bottle, I was finally able to try the Highland Park 12yo. I'd heard good things, here and elsewhere (Scotch Chix anyone?).

I do like the HP 12. Not the smoothest whisky on the block, but it seems to have a good balance and doesn't display too much of that an in-your-face youthfulness. Plenty smooth for a 12yo. Sweet and flavorful and oh-so easy to drink, particlularly if you have trouble with the phenolic peaties.

Still a bit pricy at 50 bucks a pop, but it's okay as a top-end daily drinker. Maybe I'll break down and try the Johnny Walker black, though I've been avoiding blends (except when I make 'em).

With the purchase of this newest bottle of Highland Park 12--in a new style bottle, which I don't see as an improvement--came a sample bottle of the HP 18yo. I was shocked to discover that I prefer the 12 year old! It was crazy, usually you expect the younger one to kick you in the teeth more and have more of those sinus-squelching volatiles, but the 18 year old I did not find to be as well balanced or enjoyable. This was after drinking the 12 year old, for comparison.

For the price, there's no way I'm going to buy a bottle of the HP 18 year old, when the 12 year old compares so favorably for a much better price. Just my experience, YMMV.

On a side note, last night I finally polished off that bottle of Ardbeg I've been nursing along. That is some very complex stuff right there. Just crammed with flavors, in good balance. But not an every-night scotch. Scorched-earth in a bottle.