Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Community Centers > I'll Drink to That!

I'll Drink to That! What is your favorite beverage to have with a cigar? Juice? Cola? Beer? Port? Single Malt Scotch? This room is for the discussion of beverages, especially alcoholic beverages that go well with cigars!

Old 04-29-2014, 06:16 PM   #1
Mad Dawg
Administrator
Herf Dog
Herf God

New coffees, not-so-new coffee

First, the not-so-new: The excellent Ethiopian Gedeo Worka from Klatch. I just polished off my second 10lb bag of this bean when lo and behold, a free shipping email hits my in-box. Boom! Another 10lbs en route. To the best of my memory, this is the second bean in many years that I will have gone through >30lbs of. Excellent!

Two recent orders, 1 from Burman, the other from Sweet Maria's, brought 2lbs each of 8 different coffees. All rate commentary reviews, based on FC roasts in my Original Poppery.

From SM's

Brazil Dry-Process Familia Campos: Surprisingly bright for a Brazilian. Tropical fruit, chocolate, nuts, smooth and balanced.

Brazil Dry-Process Fazenda Furnas Lot One: Much like the Familia Campos, but a bit more complexity. Clean, refined, excellent.

Ethiopia Grade 1 Dry-Process Guji Shakiso: Although lacking the berry notes I crave, a very nice example of the genre. Fruity, good brightness, a distinct caramel sweetness creeps in as the cup cools.

Yemen Hajja Micro-Lot:
Slightly less "wild" than a typical Yemeni, hints of kitchen spices and earth. Good, but a bit of a stretch at the price.

From Burman

Brazil Bob-O-Link Peaberry Mokka: Bob-O-Link is always a crowd-pleaser, and this one is no exception. Clean and balanced, fruity/nutty with hints of chocolate.

Indonesian Organic Balinese Kintamani Natural: Lightly fruity, restrained acidity, earthier than the enigmatic lot we saw last year. Still, a worthy cup.

Rwanda Fair Trade Dukunde Kawa: Very nice example of a Rwandan - clean and balanced, with good brightness balanced by deep body.

Chinese Yunnan Premium: OK, I went for this one because it's the first Chinese coffee I've ever seen. Just OK, nothing caught my attention, but I've added another country to my list. Meh.

So what are you guys finding out there lately that's good?

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

That which does not kill me....has made a grave tactical error.
Mad Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 07:08 PM   #2
macsauce13
Club Member

Thanks for the reviews! It's hard to beat a good cup of cofee.
macsauce13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 05:46 AM   #3
BigJohn
Chief Geek, @cigarweekly

Wow.
Ok. so you got the ability to forward on that free shipping from Klatch? I've never ordered from them because they're a little out of line on shipping - not as bad as Sweet maria, but still...

Ethiopian Gedeo Worka
I gotta try that.

I've had all the others you mention from burmans, except the chinese. Thanks for saving me the trouble.

I have to agree on the Rwandan coffee.

Did you try the india arabidecool? I really like that. I've gone through 6 lbs.

John
Help support the CigarWeekly webhost (me!) > Shop online? Start HERE: direct to Amazon.com
Protect your computer from VIRUSES > Get Avast!
BigJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 05:56 PM   #4
Mad Dawg
Administrator
Herf Dog
Herf God

Sorry, John...free shipping expired 4/27. They do this fairly regularly...I'll PM you ASAP next time. They've had the Gedeo Worka in stock for a while now...hopefully they'll have it 'til the next free ship date.

I have tried that Indian - another winner.

I've loved Rwandan coffees since the first one I had. It was called "Masaka," and it was outstanding - clean, a touch of spice, complex, deep body...a lot like a top-notch Kenyan only without the overt brightness. Also had the highest caffeine content of any Arabica I've ever had.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Old 05-01-2014, 03:53 AM   #5
fvfanmc
Self Exiled
Herf God

I tend to stay with Lavazza espresso. Since I don't roast or grind, Lavazza is (IMO) the best of ground coffee. Although, 8 O'clock original is really good.
I've stopped trying different brands after finding what I really like.
fvfanmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 04:43 AM   #6
Mad Dawg
Administrator
Herf Dog
Herf God

Quote:
Originally Posted by fvfanmc View Post
I've stopped trying different brands after finding what I really like.
Drink what you like, like what you drink!

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Old 05-01-2014, 05:08 AM   #7
BigJohn
Chief Geek, @cigarweekly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Dawg View Post
Drink what you like, like what you drink!
+1

Well drat and dang. It's about time for me to place another order, and I typically order from Burman because his shipping is "net net" and I like that. To top it off, his newsletter deals rarely disappoint!
Help support the CigarWeekly webhost (me!) > Shop online? Start HERE: direct to Amazon.com
Protect your computer from VIRUSES > Get Avast!
BigJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 11:54 AM   #8
mike s
Contributing Editor
Club Member

Java Sunda - Pak Yayat Typica - 1 lbs
Burundi Muyinga Murago - 1 lbs
Guatemala Chimaltenango Xejuyu - 1 lbs
Sweet Marias Liquid Amber Espresso Blend - 2 lb
Espresso Sampler - 8 lbs

Guatemala Alotenango Finca Candelaria - 2 lbs
Colombia Familia Guerra - La Gallineta - 1 lbs
Sweet Marias Liquid Amber Espresso Blend - 2 lbs
Burundi Muyinga Murago - 1 lbs

Here are my last tow SM orders (3 months between orders). I am really enjoying the roasting process with the Behmore. Its alot of fun to sit and watch the beans change colors and to smell them at different times while they roast. I had been doing 1/2# roasts but get just as good results when I upped it to 1# batches. Usually stop the roast, hit the cool button, and open the door just at or right before second crack. I do not make drip coffee, only espresso...and it is all fantastic! Can't really pick a favorite. but the liquid Amber blend is pretty good as was the Burundi, it had a kinda canded sugar caramel aftertaste that I enjoyed. All are great as stand alone double shots and still stand up in my milk based cappas and lattes (but that's because they aren't swimming in milk)
mike s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 12:28 PM   #9
Mad Dawg
Administrator
Herf Dog
Herf God

I don't do espresso, only drip coffee. Roasting your own is the great equalizer...no matter how you make it, the best cup of coffee simply must start with the freshest coffee.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Old 05-01-2014, 01:48 PM   #10
big ben
Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Dawg View Post

From Burman

Brazil Bob-O-Link Peaberry Mokka: Bob-O-Link is always a crowd-pleaser, and this one is no exception. Clean and balanced, fruity/nutty with hints of chocolate.

One of my favorites. I do like the regular better than the peaberry though.

Indonesian Organic Balinese Kintamani Natural: Lightly fruity, restrained acidity, earthier than the enigmatic lot we saw last year. Still, a worthy cup.

[COLOR="red"]I'm done with Naturals. This one wasn't as bad as others but I still can't dial it in. And the quakers, oh my, 1/3 of the roast.

Rwanda Fair Trade Dukunde Kawa: Very nice example of a Rwandan - clean and balanced, with good brightness balanced by deep body.

Love this coffee. Best new coffee I've roasted since I discovered Bob-O-Link.

Chinese Yunnan Premium: OK, I went for this one because it's the first Chinese coffee I've ever seen. Just OK, nothing caught my attention, but I've added another country to my list. Meh.
[B]
Probably the worst green coffee beans I have ever roasted.

"I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest. If you can't take it, you shouldn't play." Jack Lambert.
big ben is offline   Reply With Quote