Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Talk

Cigar Talk A place for cigar enthusiasts to discuss our hobby, legal cigars and related stuff.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-19-2004, 12:06 PM   #1
SSaka

IMPORTANT: CONGRESS TO BAN CIGAR SHIPMENTS!!!

DON’T LET CONGRESS TAKE AWAY YOUR CIGARS!

In December, the United States Senate passed a bill dealing with the counterfeiting of cigarettes. A last minute amendment was quietly slipped into this bill (S?) to COMPLETELY BAN THE SALE OF CIGARS THROUGH THE US MAIL! The rest of the bill has absolutely nothing to do with cigars. And even worse, the amendment was snuck into the Senate bill without any debate!

Of course this is going to have not only a huge impact on our customers, but on every single cigar smoker in America regardless of who he buys from! Plus no matter how great your local retailer is, there is no way they can stock every brand, nor every size and shape in each brand. Plus, I don't know about you, but I have only one good cigar store within 2 hours of my house, and I know plenty of guys who don't have ANY cigar store within 100 miles of them. And what about our servicemen overseas? US Mail is the only way they get cigars!

Private carriers have already proven they are not willing to stand up to local states and have already stopped accepting cigar shipments in certain places. Honestly, I am just stunned that our government is going to stamp out our freedom to send a perfectly legal product via our tax subsidized US Mail system. And as someone who buys cigars via mail (yes, I buy cigars from other retailers - don't tell Lew...) this whole thing makes me mad as hell. I am truly becoming fed up with the government meddling with my individual rights. The more I think about, the angrier I become...

If this bill passes into law it is going to have a devastating impact on the entire cigar industry and on our individual rights. Well, I am damn well not going to roll over and stick my head in the sand on this. Currently this bill is slated to be considered next by the US House Judiciary Committee under HR(?).

We are all right now sorting out what is the best way to contact the sitting members to let our own voices be heard and we are hopeful that every cigar smoker who reads this will help by doing the same and will pass the word on to others.

Standby for more info - we will publish it as soon as we have it! I don't know if we can stop this lunacy, but I am damn well going to beat the drum like a madman!!!

Steve Saka
'Live Free or Die'

edited - will validate bill #s