Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-02-2005, 05:32 PM   #1
jazznut
Managing Editor Emeritus
Herf God

Juan Lopez Selección No.1

"Last Embers"

Juan Lopez Selección No.1 from Cuba

Packaging: Slide lid box containing 25 cigars
Dimensions: 5.63 inches by 46 ring gauge (Coronas Gorda)
Box code: NNSU TLP02 (Tobacos Lazaro Pena, San Antonio Region/Issued 1998-11)
Date smoked: February 25th, 2005
Accompanying drink: I simply poured a tall glass of water.

Texture of capa: The fragile and generally smooth outer leaf gave off a semi-gloss sheen in the lamplight, and displayed moderate veining. Little tooth was evident.
Colour of capa: The predominantly sepia toned Colorado wrapper exhibited a very subdued Hunter green cast as well as bronze highlights. This individual cigar had been the darkest of its group.

Construction: The roll density possessed a decided firmness. A perfectly executed three-seam cap adorned the head.
Draw: The draw was neither constricted nor overly facilitated.
Combustion: My only criticism concerned the tendency of one side of the wrapper to burn a little more slowly than the remainder. Otherwise, the technical performance of the cigar proved excellent.

Palate entry: The Selección No.1 opened in a soft and totally integrated fashion, depositing sensations of walnuts and tobacco leaves strewn with earth along with hints of honey and cedar.
Mid point: Further into the session, a taste of mild yet surprisingly zesty Cuban leaf took center stage, while subtle notions of herbs, cedarwood and forest undergrowth delicately danced on my tongue. There was an appetizing, elusive sweetness to this mélange of flavours that had me thinking of ripe lime wedges and tequila.
Latter stages: Toward the closing moments, the Coronas Gorda beautifully amalgamated sweetness and dryness together with an enlivening yet soothing note of evergreen sap.

Comparative analysis: Over an intervening period of 9 months, the flavour thrust of the mature Juan Lopez appeared to have discreetly shifted, shedding a degree of spiciness as well as a chocolatey characteristic even while acquiring greater focus along with added sweetness.

Summary: The sagely tempered strength of the Juan Lopez Selección No.1’s blend allows the cigar’s myriad flavours to fully express themselves. I was sorry to see the last embers of the fine Cuban, the lone survivor of this particular batch, extinguish in the ashtray. That said, I take some measure of solace in the continued excellence of more recent production.