Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-23-2002, 12:00 AM   #1
jlancero

Here is my review of the Cuban Belicoso which I posted previously:

An absolutely stellar vitola. Almost textbook perfection in appearance. Oily/dark wrapper. Beautifully rolled. Excellent pre-light draw with spicy drysmoke flavor and zing on the palette.
This cigar benefitted from a slower smoking pace. The complexity of flavors and sublime intensity were best realized by letting the cigar burn without being overheated. It was in this "zone" that really allowed this stick to sport it's stuff. I was particularly suprised by the overall performance of it's outstanding flavor/strength balance. Spice, power and rich deep choco-coffee-earthy-toasty like complexity. I was duly impressed. Linear burn with a few minor touch-ups.
I have smoked a few of the Robusto SG's before which had burn problems and did not impress me nearly as much.
For me...this was a one hour affair to remember. I purchased 2 (limit per person). Hopefully the next one will perform equally as well. If so.....as Arnold would say...
"I'll be back".

Well, this evening I fired up a Sun Grown 858.
And "How sweet it is..."
Aside from the almost flawless construction and performance, I think what impressed me the most was the linearity of flavor. From the very beginning to the last 1/64" nub, this baby had the same wonderful "twangy" sun grown flavor characteristics as the CB, with a growing meteoric rise in power towards the long and wonderful finish. Essentially the flavor profile was quite similar to the Cuban Beli, but as some of the brothers had pointed out in my related thread in the Smokin' Posts Room, the 858 was a bit smoother with virtually no harshness. No need for even one touch-up. This bitch was a benchmark smoking experience!

So...in conclusion....
I declare these a tie. Different yet similar. Regardless, for the money, I highly recommend both and will personally be buying and enjoying the hell out of these killer vitolas when I can find them. I am duly impressed with these smokes. And thanks as always for your great feedback in my previous thread.

And the wise man looked at me with compassion in his eyes and said,
"relax my son....have a cigar".
jlancero is offline   Reply With Quote