Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-04-2014, 08:04 AM   #1
spiridon
Herf God

Illusione Ultra Dbl Corona

A beautiful looking cigar. This was another cigar that I picked up while in Tampa for the Cigar Festival about a month ago. I had heard good things about this line, so was curious to give it a try. As stated at the start, this was a beautiful looking cigar, the Nicaraguan Corojo wrapper wrapper is dark brown with a "reddish" hue, nice & smooth in texture. A double corona, 56x6.75 in size, and is box pressed. It has a nice "heft" to it, no soft spots that I can tell.
After clipping the cap I took a pre-light draw and found the draw to be very nice with just the right amount of resistance. So far, all indications are that this is well constructed cigar.
Upon lighting I found the initial few puffs to be......how shall I say.....a little confusing?? This is where my lack of a refined palette is a detriment. The flavors in this cigar were pretty complex IMO, a lot of "stuff" going on here in subtle ways, making it hard for me to pick out any one flavor over the other. There was a bit of spice and chocolate, along with an "earthy" presence. Leather comes to mind along with a touch of vanilla adding to the sweetness provided by the chocolate. Very Interesting!
As I took my time and enjoyed this cigar I found it gained in strength & body as I worked my way down. It changed flavor profiles several times along the way, but not ever doing a schizophrenic turnaround, instead each of the individual flavors would briefly take center stage and make their presence known......a very nice ride!
The burn on this cigar was spot on, never once needing a touch-up.
Everything I've read about this cigar classifies it as being full strength. I guess I can see that somewhat. I'd peg it as a medium strength, full flavored cigar. It does have a characteristic that I like.....it has a very rich taste to it IMO. The smoke tends to taste heavy and coat your palette in a complex rich variety of flavors.
I started this cigar wondering at first if this would be one I like or not? ....The further along I got into this smoke the more I enjoyed it. When getting to the end of this smoke I found myself hating to put it down.
In the end I'd give this cigar 4 out of 5 stars and one that I'd definitely enjoy revisiting.