Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > The Cedar Room

The Cedar Room A place for cigar storage and cigar accessories discussions.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-12-2009, 07:52 AM   #1
Sniff
Starting Member

What SHOULD my hygro read?

I've been fighting a humidity problem on and off for the past few months,,,,trying to track it down. I have a Western Digital Caliber 3 in a large desktop... I've got about three boxes worth of cigars inside. On one half of the bottom, I have a sturdy, metal, coffee filter that I use as a container for my 65% beads. The humidor sits in my office, which remains at a steady 76 degrees F. I do not have the option to lower the temp. I've never had a problem with beetles to date, so I'm not overly concerned about them.

I've salt tested the WD, and came out with 75% on a fresh battery... Once inside the humidor, it reads 76 deg, and 59%... what SHOULD the WD read? 65%? or corrected for 6 degrees over 70? (which would be in the 50's)

The cigars feel a bit dry, and the beads all turn white after about three days. As far as I can tell, the humidor has a good seal, the top is quite heavy, but will not slam shut when released because of the friction (tight fit).

I think my next option is to re-season the humidor, but I wanted to check about the hygrometer readings first...

BTW, looooooooooong time lurker, not a big poster..... thanks for this forum, you've saved me a whole lot of money over the years....
Sniff is offline   Reply With Quote