Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-21-2008, 04:49 PM   #1
Augie754

Luis Martinez Silver Nicaraguan Selection Hamilton

Luis Martinez Silver Nicaraguan Selection Hamilton Robusto
Cigar Size = 4.75 x 50
Country of Origin = Nicaragua
Wrapper = Ecuadorian Sungrown
Binder = Honduran Cuban Seed
Filler = Central American Filler
Purchased From = LuisMartinez.com
Purchase Date = 2007-01-23
Purchase price = $3.24
Smoke Date = 2008-06-19

Appearance = 7.5
This robusto looked good from a distance. It was straight with great uniformity in color (deep brown). Upon closer inspection the wrapper is fairly rough with medium to large veins and the cap is not applied very well. It was also a bit lumpy. The band design wasn't the best but not horrible either.

Construction = 8.7
I didn't expect the construction to be to great for this cigar. But the pre-smoke draw was about right and after lighting it was better. It burnt perfectly straight throughout and had tons of smoke. The ash was a little soft but acceptable, with a dark gray and black peppered color. The feel was a little soft and spongy, but overall I was pleasantly surprised with how this cigar was put together.

Taste = 7.6
Pre-smoke was light and woody. After lighting it has little flavor, but a touch of cedar. It's flavor became better and more pronounce throughout and was sweet with hits of cedar. It became harsh once or twice, maybe because I was smoking too fast. It had a nice scent and the finish was long and sweet. It wasn't as robust as I'd like typically but was a very nice medium flavor.

Overall
I've had one of these before and it wasn't nearly as good. This might be a nice little smoke for a first timer and can be bought for less than 2 bucks a smoke if you buy a box.

Appearance = 7.5 x 1
Construction = 8.7 x 3
Taste = 8.0 x 6
Overall = 7.92
Strenth Rating = Medium

Rating scale:
10.0 - 9.5 = buy at any price
9.5 - 9.0 = premium price box worthy
9.0 - 8.5 = box worthy
8.5 - 8.0 = single or 5 pack worthy
8.0 - 7.0 = single worthy if dirt cheap
7.0 - 6.0 = will smoke if given for free