Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Community Centers > I'll Drink to That!

I'll Drink to That! What is your favorite beverage to have with a cigar? Juice? Cola? Beer? Port? Single Malt Scotch? This room is for the discussion of beverages, especially alcoholic beverages that go well with cigars!

Old 09-09-2008, 04:34 PM   #1
jazznut
Managing Editor Emeritus
Herf God

A new A Rich Pour article...

Hard to believe this one constitutes the 14th in the series, but there it is!

For those of you who are into red wine, I hope you enjoy the read...

http://www.cigarweekly.com/magazine/...rk-side-of-red
Old 09-09-2008, 06:10 PM   #2
debaire
Herf Meister

Awesome article! I have heard it said that Bob Parker has single-handedly led the market to the fruit bomb, high alcohol-content wines that seems ever so popular these days. To have such power!

Fine, twist my arm, I'll smoke a cigar.
RIP cubano67, knife
Full Flavor Federation (FFF) - Charter Member
debaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 04:44 PM   #3
jazznut
Managing Editor Emeritus
Herf God

I'm glad you enjoyed the article, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by debaire
I have heard it said that Bob Parker has single-handedly led the market to the fruit bomb, high alcohol-content wines that seem ever so popular these days. To have such power!
His tasting/assessment abilities and penchant for certain styles of wine momentarily aside, Parker did happen to enter the scene at an opportune time. Well-heeled Americans had displaced Europeans (particularly the British and French) as the pre-eminent purchasers of wines from the top estates of Bordeaux and Burgundy. And, of course, they continued to champion the best wines from California. Furthermore, the role of the wine writer/critic was simultaneously transforming from that of a liason between winemakers and consumers to one more at an arm's length distance from the industry. Concurrent with this transition was the fact that the 'new' critic, being less directly attached to the traditions of the industry in classic regions (and therefore less encumbered by preconceptions of what a wine 'should' taste like), could adopt a much broader view as to exactly what constituted a 'good' wine.

Parker took direct aim at those estates he felt, given their historical pedigree, were underperforming while still actively promoting the 'mystique' behind their make that made it possible for them to continue charging the buyer ridiculous amounts of money for their product. Perhaps ironically, his recognition of the excellence of the wines of many lesser known estates 'drove' them headlong into the public eye, resulting in a rapidly increased demand and, thus, exponentially escalating prices for their wines.

Never a dull moment in the world of wine!
Old 09-10-2008, 05:15 PM   #4
BigO
Publisher/Owner
El Chefé
BBQ Guru
Herf God

A really nice piece, Doug.

One of the real blind spots in my tastes (I refuse to misspell 'palate' again) as an amateur chef is in the matter of wine. Whether or not it has something to do with nearly 25 years (now past 12 weeks, God willin' and the crick don't rise) of being an inveterate cigarette smoker, I just never had the sensitivity to discern huge (or even minute) differences between vintages. I subscribed to the "For those that like that sort of thing, that's the sort of thing they like" school of wine.

I still prefer stronger spirits to wine, but I'm looking forward to exploring the nuances of various vintages as my tastes become more refined.

Your piece is still a masterful work by someone who can appreciate the minute differences and describe them beyond all the rest of us.

Bravo.

Free speech is free speech is free speech. There is no qualifier.

If you aren't outraged, you aren't paying attention.

Never attribute malice to that what can be explained as stupidity.

Unborn lives matter too.

BigO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 09:49 AM   #5
jazznut
Managing Editor Emeritus
Herf God

Much appreciated Jason, especially coming from someone of your tremendous talent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigO
Whether or not it has something to do with nearly 25 years (now past 12 weeks, God willin' and the crick don't rise) of being an inveterate cigarette smoker, I just never had the sensitivity to discern huge (or even minute) differences between vintages.
I don't know about the cigarette connection, and I'll tell you why. My brother has been a 1 to 2-pack a day smoker for practically as long as I can remember. and doesn't retain nearly the breadth of knowledge on wine and spirits as I do. Yet his ability to nose and taste these commodities and discern their characteristics makes my attempts at analysis, at times, pale by comparison!
Old 09-11-2008, 10:26 AM   #6
SMOKINACTUARY
Huge Cranium
Herf God

Excellent Article Doug

And Jason, since you have started smoking your palate should become more sensitive.

I am interested in what you are going to take away from that bottle of Aric from Languedoc-Roussillon. I swear after breathing for a couple of hours you will smell lavender.
...the gas chambers of Auschwitz, Treblinka, and Maidanek were ultimately prepared not in some ministry or other in Berlin, but rather at the desks and in the lecture halls of nihilistic scientists and philosophers.
- Viktor Frankl
SMOKINACTUARY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 06:56 AM   #7
jazznut
Managing Editor Emeritus
Herf God

Thank you, John.

Truth be told, last night was the first in a while where we actually managed to sit down at the dinner table with a wine clocking in under 14% alcohol by volume...

A German Riesling from the Mosel (9.5%).
Old 09-25-2008, 09:16 AM   #8
SMOKINACTUARY
Huge Cranium
Herf God

Reislings bring quite a flavor wallop for such a low ABV.

Oh and I had my first real fruit bomb this week - a 2005 Kaesler "The Bogan" Barossa Shiraz clocking in at a light 16% ABV. While it was fun to drink, all my wife could say was "this is like drinking oak aged ink".

Don't get me wrong. I like a wine with some body. But give me some terroir please.
...the gas chambers of Auschwitz, Treblinka, and Maidanek were ultimately prepared not in some ministry or other in Berlin, but rather at the desks and in the lecture halls of nihilistic scientists and philosophers.
- Viktor Frankl
SMOKINACTUARY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 09:37 AM   #9
jazznut
Managing Editor Emeritus
Herf God

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMOKINACTUARY
"this is like drinking oak aged ink"
I've got to remember this line!