Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Community Centers > I'll Drink to That!

I'll Drink to That! What is your favorite beverage to have with a cigar? Juice? Cola? Beer? Port? Single Malt Scotch? This room is for the discussion of beverages, especially alcoholic beverages that go well with cigars!

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-07-2003, 09:52 PM   #1
ColbyPants

Blanton's Single Barrel

Hi! I did the hokey introduction thing already in aanother thread. Before I started on my cigar journey I became a bourbon enthusiast and have ammassed a decent selection over the past 2 years. I find the pairing of a good American whiskey with the right cigar to be a thing of beauty. I also like writing tasting notes, and hope you will enjoy it if I post some of these notes from time to time. Dont mind the structure too much, Having a form to fill out helps me focus on what makes the bourbon at hand so great!

Anyway during the holidays is a time to spoil yourself and today I had one of my favorites, a Classic!

Name (full): Blanton’s The Original Single Barrel Bourbon Whiskey

Dumped On: December 19, 2000

Barrel #: 64

Stored in Warehouse: H

Rick #: 10

Proof: 93

Price: $34.50 @ Marion County State Store, Marion, OH.

Bottle: After gently opening the Gold Embossed (with horses and riders) forest green box and peeling away the spiffy brown bag protecting the bottle, one is treated to the prize. The Holy Hand Grenade of Bourbon (or so it has been called) comes in a stylish squat 18 sectioned round container with a brown strip label across the midsection. On the label, the dump date, warehouse, rick and actual proof (it is said to vary occasionally) are hand written among the classy script text. The cork finish is accentuated by a minute metallic horse and jockey stretching for victory.

Color: A divine, almost ruby deep red. This, more than any other bourbon I have tried, alone tempts me to have a pull every time I glance at the bottle on the mantle. It is an enticing color.

Nose: Carmel apples, Burning Leaves, Cinnamon Toast. The more I nose the more nutty smells. . . . Like Buttery Pecans & Almonds and Raisins.

Taste: There is a lot more to this bourbon than I could describe. The flavors I could pick out were the Butter Pecans, prunes and the dark fruits of the nose. But there is much more, I am not really doing it much justice. It is Balanced, Everything here belongs.

Finish: Long, warm, smoooooooooooooth, coating and buttery. More almonds & Pecans. Almost Syrupy like real maple syrup.
Mouth feel: Big, Smooth, Like melted butter or Maple Syrup.

Conclusions: First I must say that whether it is craftsmanship at its best or just a marketing scam, I really enjoy the idea of Single Barrel Bourbons. The idea that you have to get every individual barrel right raises the bar of excellence. You dont have anything to mingle it with later, so if ya screwed up, oh well. That means you have to work extra hard on every barrel to get it just right.

And man did they get it just right with this stuff. It is balanced and smooth and special. Everything you taste in your glass belongs. There has been a lot of hype surrounding this bourbon from the first day I became interested in the spirit. Well I firmly believe it in this case. This shit is the real deal. The entry fee may be a bit steep, but it is well worth it. To rip off the STUFF mag line this truly is a thoroughbred Bourbon Buy Some and treat yourself today.

:P MMMMMmmmm yummy! :P

TomC

"What do you expect me to die of, Old Age?!"
ColbyPants is offline   Reply With Quote