Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Old 04-14-2018, 08:45 AM   #1
xrundog
Contributing Editor
Herf Meister

Kentucky Fire Cured Genuine Muwat

As far as I know, this is a Drew Estate product. I recently made a nice package deal and now have a double fist full of these cigars. When I was smoking pipes, I greatly enjoyed blends with Kentucky fire cured tobacco. I wondered how it would translate to cigars.

This particular cigar was a 6 x 52 Toro. The wrapper looks to be broadleaf. It is dark, toothy and durable. The cigar was cello wrapped. I had been warned in the past not to store these nude as the tobacco aroma is quite strong. I can now testify that the aroma is indeed strong! Upon taking a good whiff of the foot, I immediately thought: Latakia! It smelled like a strong English pipe tobacco.
I lit the foot with a match and was rewarded by copious amounts of thick smoke. Letting the smoke roll into my lose I got a definite campfire smell typical of latakia tobacco. But I didn't otherwise taste it much. The cigar flavor was rich, pleasant and strong.
The burn was straight and the ash was dark and pebbly. The flavor was consistent through the whole smoke. the strength however increased considerably. It's a powerful smoke!
I wouldn't want to smoke these all the time. But I like the cigar and will be happy to smoke more on an occasional basis. I'm giving this one an 8 of 10. There's nothing else like this.

Epilogue: Yep, Drew Estate. CI says the wrapper is a Mexican San Andres Maduro. The filler is Kentucky and Virgina Fire cured tobacco with Nicaraguan and Brazilian mata fino mixed in. The size is called Just a Friend.
xrundog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 09:20 AM   #2
bsslack
Herf Meister

Hey Tim!

These are odd birds for me,for sure. The aroma you mentioned is indeed pervasive. I tried twice to smoke a Fire Cured and simply could not get through it. That said there is a decent sized following for these cigars. I've talked to several retailers, who each say they are big sellers. Many are what might be called transition smokers. People who are graduating from Black and Milds and/or flavored smokes into real cigars. That was what others had opined anyway. The ones I had tried were so overpowering with the camp smoke odor that I could not get to the tobacco flavors you found. Drew Estate has long offered unique profiles in taste and marketing. If I'm honest, I was vocally against the first offerings from DE. (Pimp Sticks, Extra Ordinary Larry, Nasty, et al) But, they have since diversified, expanded and developed several known and respected cigar brands like Liga Privada, Undercrown and most recently Florida Sun Grown cigars. So, there's likely something somewhere, in that very broad line, that would work for a wide swath of cigar smokers, wherever they are on the smoking spectrum.

To paraphrase: Different smokes for different folks.

Thanks for the review!

Cheers!

Do not Hold Your Heart's True Words, until they can only fall upon the saddened ears and broken hearts, already filled with the loudness of grief. -unk

...Quick to Judgement...Quick to Anger and Slow To Understand... -Rush (it was true then and it's still applies today.)

Remember EVERY American Soldier Past and Present.-You -Me -Everybody

Last edited by bsslack; 04-17-2018 at 09:26 AM. Reason: de-tails.
bsslack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 10:07 AM   #3
xrundog
Contributing Editor
Herf Meister

I don't like the flavored stuff either. That's not really what this is. They are essentially taking a tobacco processed like pipe tobacco and making a cigar. The pipe smokers who dig the English blends should go for these.
Old 04-18-2018, 04:19 AM   #4
stogie5150
CW Master Boiler
Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsslack View Post
Hey Tim!

These are odd birds for me,for sure. The aroma you mentioned is indeed pervasive. I tried twice to smoke a Fire Cured and simply could not get through it. That said there is a decent sized following for these cigars. I've talked to several retailers, who each say they are big sellers. Many are what might be called transition smokers. People who are graduating from Black and Milds and/or flavored smokes into real cigars. That was what others had opined anyway. The ones I had tried were so overpowering with the camp smoke odor that I could not get to the tobacco flavors you found. Drew Estate has long offered unique profiles in taste and marketing. If I'm honest, I was vocally against the first offerings from DE. (Pimp Sticks, Extra Ordinary Larry, Nasty, et al) But, they have since diversified, expanded and developed several known and respected cigar brands like Liga Privada, Undercrown and most recently Florida Sun Grown cigars. So, there's likely something somewhere, in that very broad line, that would work for a wide swath of cigar smokers, wherever they are on the smoking spectrum.

To paraphrase: Different smokes for different folks.

Thanks for the review!

Cheers!
Like sticking your head in campfire smoke from a fire you just whizzed in.

Old 04-18-2018, 12:27 PM   #5
Briandg
CW Squirrel Wrangler
Herf God

I bought a package of DE brands a few years back, and good god, I was just disappointed by all of them. The KFC was wonderful until I lit it, the tobacco aroma was just stunning. Then it went away as soon as I started. All the way through that fourteen cigar pack, there was nothing at all that stood out from anything else.

I was really hoping. The MUWAT was one of the main reasons that I bought the sampler.
Briandg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 12:44 PM   #6
xrundog
Contributing Editor
Herf Meister

I'm not surprised at the strong opinions. It's that type of cigar. You either like it or hate it.
Old 05-04-2018, 09:02 AM   #7
KatDad
Herf God

Sounds to me like something that might be better in a narrower ring gauge somewhere in the 42 - 45 range?

The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule it
H. L. Mencken

The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants
Albert Camus

The Land of the Free Because of the Brave
KatDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 10:36 AM   #8
mrdiver
Herf Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by stogie5150 View Post
Like sticking your head in campfire smoke from a fire you just whizzed in.

Like eating a Slim Jim.
mrdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 11:12 AM   #9
TommyBB
Editor-in-Chief
Herf God

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdiver View Post
Like eating a Slim Jim.
Says the pescatarian...

+In Memory of E.Guevara(Cubano67)W.Orlando(Shadow) A.Morris (Knife) D.Odom (dodom) D.Revermann (dgr) S.Bouchard (sb1396) M.Cole (Matt76) S.Faccenda (TOJE) R.Smith(IBMer) V.Vandermeer (van55)M.Davis(boxdoctor)S.Singer(bassman)K.Doetze l (drillrk1)D.Hart(garme1962)J.Coleman(John C 81)T.Gossett(Dartplayer1)J.Bolt (jb)E.J.Ferralles(CaballoPinto)M.Cataldo(FVFanMC)K Payne(SanchoPanza)F.Seltzer(Mowee)+LB+Connor Olson+Micah Kercheval+Maggie Bonefas+Karen

TommyBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 09:53 AM   #10
mrdiver
Herf Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyBB View Post
Says the pescatarian...

LOL. NOSE still works.......
mrdiver is offline   Reply With Quote