Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Community Centers > Mr. Creosote's Diner

Mr. Creosote's Diner Fried, boiled, smoked, seared or sautéed, this is the place we discuss our favorite foods and their preparation. Grab a knife and fork and dig in!

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-23-2018, 09:42 AM   #1
SLR
Charter Member
Herf God

Surfin Burrito, Cancun, MX

A friend recommended I check this restaurant out when I visited Cancun. I’m always down for street style food when visiting Cancun. It is a tiny restaurant with a small kitchen and outdoor sitting area.

This pic is from Google images.

It is a colorful place, kind of cool looking, and the chairs are not comfortable. But the food smells fantastic. Everything is fresh and cooked to order. Here’s their menu.

The waiter hands you a menu sheet and you fill it out with what you want. They make it anyway you want.

I ordered a carne asada burrito on a spinach wrap, and all the usual fixings. I ordered a Mahi and shrimp on a Chipotle wrap with the usual fixings. The onion rings come highly recommended so I ordered onion rings. Prices are not bad at around $8.50 per burrito, and the size is pretty big.

I knew this food would be great based on what my friend told me, but I didn’t expect perfection. It’s a burrito, I have eaten a million of them over my life. It is simple, yet the cook has perfected every component in the burrito to its absolute best. Fresh veggies are cooked as best as possible. The rice and black beans cooked as close to perfect as can be. The sauce is unique and so so tasty. The carne asada cooked to perfection and well seasoned. Same with the mahi mahi, and shrimp, cooked to their best.

Now let’s talk about the onion rings. I was done with my burrito but I never got my onion rings. I decided to be patient so I waited. And waited. 45 minuted later and I’m still waiting. I tell the waiter to cancel the order, no big deal, I was extremely satisfied with the burrito, not terribly upset about not getting the onion rings. The waiter apologizes and tells me they are coming and there would be no charge. Well ok, as long as they were being served, I’m cool. They came and they were hotter then hell out of the fryer. Hmmm, onion rings, ok. They look great. Then I ate, and immediately I realize, I am eating the best onion rings I have ever had in my life. No shit, the BEST. The onions were mild sweets, the batter was well seasoned, beer type batter. The crunch was not too hard. The dipping sauce was pretty damn good. No side order is worth 45 minutes wait. But these onion rings are worth the wait.

Bottom line, The Surfin Burrito is a simple restaurant, with uncomfortable chairs, and long wait times for food. But they make all components to their menu items to their absolute best. If you are ever in Cancun, you must try The Surfin Burrito. Be prepared to wait, I didn’t realize they take delivery orders and that is why it took so long to get food. Good to know for next time, probably better to order for delivery. Delivery to my hotel would have been $2.00.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited by SLR; 01-23-2018 at 10:15 AM.
SLR is offline   Reply With Quote