Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Community Centers > I'll Drink to That!

I'll Drink to That! What is your favorite beverage to have with a cigar? Juice? Cola? Beer? Port? Single Malt Scotch? This room is for the discussion of beverages, especially alcoholic beverages that go well with cigars!

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-04-2008, 08:32 PM   #1
NolanE
Club Member

My outing with coworkers tonight (attn red wine drinkers)

So a few coworkers and myself went out tonight to a BYOB Italian restaurant and bought some serious wines to bring along.

Started with the Thirteen Appellations' 2005 Fourteen Appellations Meritage. This ended up being the wine of the night. Very fruit forward. Not too dry, tons of flavor and an awesome nose. Almost no tannins to speak of. I tasted hints of candy (Jolly Ranchers almost). Paired with a goat cheese based appetizer. Terrific bottle, easily worth the $107 paid.

The next bottle was the 2004 Krupp The Doctor Meritage. Much more tannic than the 14, but the tannins were soooo smooth and silky. Paired this with the main course, a beef ravioli with gorgonzola cream sauce. A bit overpriced at $76, but definitely worth $50-60.

Finished the night with a 2003 Domaine de Roquete Chateauneuf de Pape. We decanted this for easily 3 hours. Very strong mushroom/fungi nose. Lighter in color and flavor than the previous 2. This was the obvious French wine of the night, super earthy, no upfront fruit flavors. Drank this also with the ravioli, but at this point the pasta was cold (but still delicious). Definitely worth the $30 paid.

For the next round we decided on the 2004 Chateau de Beaucastel Chateauneuf de Pape, and maybe a Provenance cabernet sauvignon. I will report these if interest in high end reds is here.

Note: The prices listed were slightly below retail (wine store employee discount), so these prices do not reflect what you might find in a restaurant/wine bar.