Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Community Centers > I'll Drink to That!

I'll Drink to That! What is your favorite beverage to have with a cigar? Juice? Cola? Beer? Port? Single Malt Scotch? This room is for the discussion of beverages, especially alcoholic beverages that go well with cigars!

Old 04-15-2008, 06:54 PM   #21
carmine7075
Herf God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guv
Quote:
Originally Posted by dz130
Quote:
Originally Posted by carmine7075
Used to also really like Rolling Rock too, but it doesn't exist anymore so.
I still see it around here.
Yes, but it is not the same old Rollin Rock.
Latrobe Brewing sold its name & recipe to Anheuser-Busch about two years ago.
It went from being brewed in the mountains of Pennsylvania to its new home in creeks Newark, NJ.
Exactly, they shuttered the brewery, put all those people out work and moved it to a NJ Bud brewery. Its junk now, and I really don't like A-B much now because of it.

No longer from the glass lined tanks of old latrobe, and no longer on my shopping list.

Still have to drink A-B sometimes though since one of my friends is a die hard Budweiser drinker, I get a headache just thinking about that stuff.
Old 04-15-2008, 07:44 PM   #22
qajariaq
Contributing Editor
Club Member

carmine, which brewery is that? I'm always on the look out for good breweries in NC...

Olde Hickory Brewery in Hickory makes some outstanding brews, and does the mini keg as well. I think most Lowe's Foods carries OHB mini kegs, but I'm not sure how large of an area is covered. I've seen them on the shelf as far east as Raleigh. The OHB pub tends to have a special seasonal on tap, so it pays to stop by often for a growler refill!

Duck Rabbit is probably my favorite craft brewery in the state... milk stout

Quote:
And our local brewery sells growlers for $8 or mini kegs for about $15 <which is a little more than a 12er>, and their beer is really good too.
qajariaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 04:48 AM   #23
carmine7075
Herf God

That would be the one lotus

I really like the OHB Poor Richards, and the Porter when they are brewing them. Scottish Ale was good too. What are your top picks from OHB?

You can also get the minis at sams sometimes for a few dollars less.

I've also heard good things about one in Morganton, only open Fridays. Catawba Valley brewing Co maybe

Duck rabbit is really good, as is the weeping radish brewery. Great place to stop if you in Manteo.
Old 04-16-2008, 12:05 PM   #24
spiny norman
Contributing Editor
Herf Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotus_dude
carmine, which brewery is that? I'm always on the look out for good breweries in NC...

Olde Hickory Brewery in Hickory makes some outstanding brews, and does the mini keg as well.
[/quote]

Olde Hickory makes some good stuff. I stopped in when I was out there last summer!
Old 04-16-2008, 01:19 PM   #25
ColdWaterConch
Club Member

Latrobe Brewery, which used to make RR, is now owned by City Brewing, and now makes Sam Adams.

As for the cost of beer rising, I've decided to turn local in my purchases. I buy from small, local brewers in the area, but will also purchase beers produced by homegrown PA brewers (like Yuengling and Troegs).
Old 04-16-2008, 04:36 PM   #26
qajariaq
Contributing Editor
Club Member

I missed out on Poor Richards when it was available earlier this year. As far as seasonal/special brews go, they have the infamous nut brown on tap right now and it is outstanding. Their Christmas ale is good if you like the style, went through a couple mini kegs of that over the holidays. They have a barleywine available now in 22 oz bottles at the pub, but I've yet to try it. The stout is my favorite of their regular brews, but the pilsner is a close second.

I've not been able to get to the brewery in Morganton yet, but like you, I've heard a lot of good things.

Quote:
I really like the OHB Poor Richards, and the Porter when they are brewing them. Scottish Ale was good too. What are your top picks from OHB?
qajariaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 07:35 PM   #27
carmine7075
Herf God

They just put a new stout on called Paddy's Irish Stout. Its a nitrous pour like Guinness, and it is really good. They did a nice job, I think you may like it.

The Christmas ale is always good!

I also saw the Barleywine, and thought of trying until I heard the price.

CWC, good to hear that news for the community of Latrobe.

Ever try any beers from the Lion in WB, PA? I know it a long way from you, but they make some good beer that I have tried over the years.