Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > The Cedar Room

The Cedar Room A place for cigar storage and cigar accessories discussions.

Old 02-15-2002, 05:07 PM   #1
BMWR1100RS
Starting Member

Does humidity inside the cooler come up pretty fast on a brand new setup? What I mean is..there is no conditioning to the coolerdor because of lack of absorbing material, right? I was thinking of a CigarOasis for the humidification. Thanks!
BMWR1100RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2002, 05:28 PM   #2
Las Villas
Herf Meister

Good question actually I just got me a 48qt cooler from K-Mart and will be setting it up over the weekend...I would also like to know the answer to this question..
Also, is there anything else needed except a humidifing object and cigar boxes???

"LAS VILLAS"
Old 02-15-2002, 06:19 PM   #3
Oppie X
Herf Meister

You have to be very careful when setting it up,the humidity will rise fast.I set all of mine up and put in some empty cedar boxes and stablized it before adding cigars.Climaxx beads work well in the coolers and haven't had any problem when using these to setup in a cooler.
Old 02-15-2002, 06:32 PM   #4
roncarlos

I had great success using a cigar oasis in my igloodor.
Old 02-15-2002, 11:54 PM   #5
La Bunny

We use crystals in our coolers, but with 3 of them (soon to be 4) we can't really afford to use climax beads.

I've got foam in my desktops though.

Good thought on letting the coolers get used to the boxes first OppieX. I'll do that with my next one I think. Thanks!
Old 02-16-2002, 05:34 AM   #6
jchamb
Club Member

I have 3 coolers, and I started them using floral foam in a tupperware container with holes drilled in it. I stuck in about half a dozen empty boxes (along with whatever cigars I was putting in there) to help stabilize the humidity, and let it sit.

It seems that on all of mine, it took several days (almost a week) for everything to stabilize. Once the humidity levels off, they seem to keep it steady for a long time though.

Over the past 18 months I've switched from Oasis foam to using a soap dish with "agrosoak" or "Crystal Ice". It just seems easier to maintain with the crystals, and they hardly ever get very dry (I use a 50/50 mix in them initially, then add distilled water when necessary).
Old 02-16-2002, 07:41 AM   #7
Ross
Club Member

Mine are lined with Sp Cedar and the CigarOasis brought humidity up to 67-68% (my target) within 1/2 hour. It stays where you set it because it constantly cycles on and off to maintain humidity. Leave cigars out overnight (in another 'dor) till you're satisfied they are holding. Trust the CigarOasis - not your hygrometer. Here's my set up: http://users.netonecom.net/~rsfrid/cigars.htm

The World is full of Apathy and I don't care!!!
My current rotation: Most Perdomo, Oliva O, G and V, most CAO, Nub 464 maduro, Nub 464 Habano, a box or two of 5-Vegas, a couple boxes of ERdM Robusto Largo, Some AF Hemingway SS and some others I can't remember. It's a well-stocked Delta-T.
Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2002, 08:17 AM   #8
Las Villas
Herf Meister

Nice set up Ross and thanks for the info...I will be getting the necessary materials for setup this weekend..

"LAS VILLAS"
Old 02-16-2002, 08:20 AM   #9
mrdiver
Herf Meister

Very nice, Ross

Cigar Snob in-training
mrdiver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2002, 09:44 AM   #10
Pharmr

I've always just used foam in tupperware in mine....it's worked fine...one thing you need to do with coolers is open them regularly(once a week or so), because the need to get some fresh air in them since they are pretty much airtight, unlike a humidor.

Şharmr£