Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Pipe Room

Pipe Room A place for the discussion of Pipes and Pipe Tobaccos.

Old 07-08-2018, 04:28 AM   #1
jeepdad
Club Member

Cigars to Pipe

I've been contemplating moving from cigars to a pipe. Not really seriously but it's been peculating in the back of my mind. And not sure I really want to. Anyone here made the transition successfully? As the last thing I want is to add yet another vice while not giving up another.

Never really smoked a pipe in earnest. I've smoked the equivalent of gas station cigars pipe tobacco. I don't know if I would even like smoking a pipe. I'm telling myself it will be cheaper than cigar smoking but I can hear you seasoned pipers laughing out loud.

A buddy said "buy a corncob pipe and see if you like it before buying a nice pipe". Mu LCS carries a boatload of pipe tobacco.
jeepdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 08:08 AM   #2
beevod
Herf God

I smoke both and find each to be a different pleasure. Buy a cheap pipe, some decent tobacco and see where it takes you. (And do not "peculate.")
Old 07-08-2018, 10:25 AM   #3
Smokestack Jack
Herf God

I would start with a Missouri Meerschaum corn cob pipe. I have 12 of them and they all smoke great. If you don't like it, you aren't out much money. Check out the online places such as Smokingpipes.com, Pipesandcigars.com, and 4noggins.com, just to name a few.
Old 07-09-2018, 03:03 PM   #4
ak2000
Charter Member
Herf God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokestack Jack View Post
I would start with a Missouri Meerschaum corn cob pipe. I have 12 of them and they all smoke great. If you don't like it, you aren't out much money. Check out the online places such as Smokingpipes.com, Pipesandcigars.com, and 4noggins.com, just to name a few.

this^

Pipesandcigars.com has MM Cobs on sale, use code 7MMH for 15% off!
JLOH #19
ak2000 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 10:39 AM   #5
SLR
Charter Member
Herf God

I love Cuban cigars, some non-Cuban cigars, and pipe tobacco, especially non-aromatic pipe tobacco. For me, good tobacco can be found in cigars and pipes. You just have to find the right pipe tobacco that gives you the same smoking pleasure as cigars. For me, I really got into pipe tobacco when I was introduced to Virginia based and blends tobacco, especially in flakes, plugs and rope formats. Some folks find preparing pipe tobacco from flakes, plugs, and ropes to be a chore, but I really enjoy it.

Smoking cigars is way easier to smoke and enjoy then smoking pipes. Working a pipe takes patients and practice, but once you get the hang of it, it's really easy and enjoyable.

Pipe tobacco is cheaper then cigars, but flavor and enjoyment is the same for me. Just lucky pipe tobacco is cheaper, an added benefit of smoking pipe tobacco.

I find storing pipe tobacco is easier then storing cigars. No humidor required for pipe tobacco. Keep the tobacco in their sealed tins and it will be fine in the unopen tins for decades. As for loose bulk tobacco, store these tobaccos in mason jars, and they will be fine for decades. No humidors or humidification devices needed. Just keep your stash in a cool dry place, and your pipe tobacco will be fine for a very long time.
SLR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 08:25 AM   #6
Rob G
Contributing Editor
Herf God

I keep going back and fourth on this. I try pipe smoking, and then I go right back to cigars. It's not that i don't like pipes. It's just that cigar smoking is more enjoyable to me.

If people can tell me where to smoke, I can tell them where to go, too.
Rob G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 01:42 PM   #7
xrundog
Contributing Editor
Herf Meister

Yeah, pipe tobacco costs much less per smoke than cigars. I did some cypherin' on it once and I figured it cost me about 10 cents a bowl. But then I got into vintage pipes. And then I messed around with Dunhills.

I had a lot of pipes at one time. And I enjoyed them. I tend to go all in on my hobbies.
xrundog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 04:51 AM   #8
Rob G
Contributing Editor
Herf God

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrundog View Post
Yeah, pipe tobacco costs much less per smoke than cigars. I did some cypherin' on it once and I figured it cost me about 10 cents a bowl. But then I got into vintage pipes. And then I messed around with Dunhills.

I had a lot of pipes at one time. And I enjoyed them. I tend to go all in on my hobbies.
I can certainly see that happening. Pipe tobacco is cheap. But it's very easy to get drawn into collecting pipes. There's nothing wrong with that. And I have felt the pull in that direction as well. For better or worse, I have resisted.

The reality is that a cheap corn cob pipe is almost as good if not better than almost anything out there. The corn cob pipe isn't as sexy. And it doesn't have any bragging rights. It's the difference between driving a Hyundai and a BMW. But the corn cob pipe will get the job done, just like the Hyundai will get you to where you want to go.

If people can tell me where to smoke, I can tell them where to go, too.
Rob G is offline   Reply With Quote