Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Talk

Cigar Talk A place for cigar enthusiasts to discuss our hobby, legal cigars and related stuff.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-12-2005, 01:41 PM   #1
Skol

Help Wanted: Cigar Wiki

I'm looking for a few good men to help build the best authoritative cigar resource on the internet. MRN's book is a great tool, but it's not cheap/free or available online. There's also no real publication for non-cubans that even approaches the thoroughness of MRN's work.

Imagine being able to reach into your humidor, look at the brand, shape, size, and color and easily find it on a webpage that lists the make, history of the vitola, the origins of it's tobacco, and see a picture to double-check you've got the right one. Imagine seeing all this linked to tons of other information about the production of the cigar, and information of the company that produced it.

I'm looking to build this "encyclopedia" with a wiki. A wiki is a website that is open to multiple people to author. Everyone collaborates together and can edit each other's content, growing the scope and refining the quality of the publication. The most famous example of a wiki, is the Wikipedia.

We could use wikipedia, or we could set up our own site. If we chose to go the latter route, I'm volunteering to do all the hosting for as long as I can afford to. Though, all the hosting is very well preserved if we use Wikipedia's site. Would CigarWeekly be interested in hosting such a resource?

Whatever it is, I'd love to see something like this come to fruition. What say you? Are you interested in helping? Even if you'd love to use a resource like this, kindly pipe up.