Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-25-2008, 01:02 PM   #1
roadhawg
Contributing Editor

Rocky Patel Renaissance (Toro)

At the recent Cigar Heritage Festival in Ybor City, I purchased a Rocky Patel Renaissance Toro (6 x 52). Here are my observations from enjoying it a few days ago.

Disclosure: I am an admitted RP whore, so may have been predisposed to view this cigar in a favorable manner, so please keep in mind the views expressed herein are solely those of the author.

General Description (per RP literature):

Wrapper: Ecuadorian Sumatra (5 year aged)
Binder: Nicaraguan / Honduran Blend (7 year aged)
Filler: Nicaraguan / Honduran Blend (5 year aged)

Appearance & Construction: This is a very good looking stick; what I would term a “handsome” cigar. Although the band has no impact on anything other than the Marketing Department, it should be noted that the band does suggest an elegant cigar. It has a gold leaf appearance and is very attractive. The cigar has a medium brown wrapper which was very lightly veined, and a virtually seamless cap. It appeared to be a very solid, well constructed cigar. The wrapper was smooth, but did have two slight imperfections, which did not detract from the overall appearance of the product.

Aroma & Taste: The pre-light aroma was very pleasant, offering a sweet, yet earthy, tobacco scent. The cigar lit easily and the draw was very smooth. Initially, there was a lot of peppery taste on the lips. It was indeed spicy, but not unpleasant, and was not harsh on the throat whatsoever. From the first through the last puff, there was absolutely a ton of smoke produced. The burn was even and no touch-ups were required. The ash was medium gray and very “loose,” but it held well to the length of over 2 inches before I discarded. The spiciness held through about the first third of the cigar and the draw continued to be very smooth and easy.
About midway through the cigar, the spiciness faded to a milder, almost creamy taste, which continued through the end of the smoke. The taste was a nice, complex blend of flavors. Although I have always found it difficult to identify specific flavor characteristics, this cigar (in my opinion) showed hints of a nutty, vanilla or almond-like taste, which was nice. There was no harshness or throat burn at all, and I did not detect any negative after-taste.

Overall: I really enjoyed this cigar, from the initial appearance and first light to the last puff, almost an hour later. I will try another one to see if there is consistency, and if there is, I will definitely add of box of these to my humi. At ~ $7.75 per stick this would not be an “everyday” smoke for me, but in my opinion it compares very favorably to other cigars selling for substantially higher prices. It definitely provided a pleasant smoking experience, with a lot of flavor and good complexity.