Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Community Centers > Smokin Tunes

Smokin Tunes A place for musicians and music lovers (that also smoke cigars!) to discuss their passion.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-28-2004, 12:28 PM   #1
HuskerHerfer

Fred Eaglesmith - Split Lip Rayfield Show Review

Here's a show you may only find in my area.

A raunchy bowling alley known for young acts, generally a pretty rough crowd, and a very beat up stage and room.

The ad read "Split Lip Rayfield with special guest Fred Eaglesmith - 18 and older show - tickets $8 at the door..."

You didn't have to twist my arm.

Both are little known acts, but if you listen to any alt country you've heard some Fred Eaglesmith, he's had some songs featured in movies also. Split Lip Rayfield is a young "punk bluegrass" band that's a must-see if they come to your area. They have been packing halls from Alaska to New York, and had the crowd at the last South by Southwest festival whipped into a frenzy.

We showed up, a little late straight from work, and asked for tickets. The kid behind the counter said one of the bands didn't show up, but he couldn't remember their name. I said "is Eaglesmith here? And Split Lip?" The kid said he thought they were both there, and I figured for eight bucks either one would be a solid bargain. A guy hanging around behind me said "You here to see Fred Eaglesmith?" I said I was, and asked if he was Fred. He didn't look like it, his shaved head, but the pics I've seen of Fred have generally included a cowboy hat. He said he played guitar for him, but pointed out Fred hanging around the lobby. I talked to the guy for a while, nice guy. He wasn't expecting someone like me, forty five, gray hair, beer belly, to know about the band. I told him I learned about them on internet radio. I had a chance to chat with several members of the band - great folks, all. We went in, and there wasn't 3 dozen people there. Fred did a serious set, none of the humor he has been often known to do, but his poignant tunes were really great. He may have been bummed about the lack of a crowd, or who knows. But it was an incredible show. This guy can write a song, and his band could hold their own. While I enjoyed all of their songs, I particularly enjoyed their classic "Alcohol and Pills" and "Water in the Fuel" - stuff you will NEVER hear it on corporate radio. If you're a country fan alienated by corporate radio, this is definitely your stuff. Fred broke a string late in the set, and I knew he wouldn't be back for an encore for that reason. Crying shame.

Then came Split Lip Rayfield. Incredible band. An acoustic guitar, a mandolin, a banjo, and a bass player playing a single string bass made from a Pinto gas tank. Incredible sound. The band did NOT suffer for lack of a typical bass player, but rather the unique sound he got and the uniqueness of his axe contributed to the appeal of the band. These guys cooked. If you feel obligated to pigeonhole their musical style, I would say "Punk Bluegrass". I have heard numerous Split Lip Rayfield tunes, but only recognized one they played. And that didn't matter - they really played. The mandolin player was one of the best I've ever heard - this guy could play! The banjo player was not a typical banjo player, and stretched out exploring other methods, styles, and so forth. This made his playing somewhat mesmerizing. He didn't have perfect chops, but because of what he was playing, and how it fit with the band, it didn't matter. It WORKED. The acoustic player didn't step up often, but his rhythm kept things moving right along. And lacking a drummer, his rhythm was the underlying foundation of the band. This leaves the bass player - no words can describe this. You have to see, hear, and experience this. The sound was unique, the foundation was solid, and the few solos were excellent. Not just a novelty, this bass is an integral part of this band. Like Victor Wooten with the Flecktones. Entirely different, but just as integral to the band's sound and appeal.

The crowd at this show was majority twenties. Tie died shirts, sandals, and tatoos on everyone. Some with dreadlocks, some with cowboy hats. Kids out solo dancing without reservation. Yet I didn't feel uncomfortable as the oldest in the crowd. These folks danced, jammed, and expressed their appreciation. An excellent crowd. And what is even greater is the beginning of what appears to be a roots music revival in our area. By the time the show was over, there were 75 kids or so, all jamming and having a GREAT time.

This was the best eight bucks I've spent in YEARS.

Anybody seen either of these acts?
HuskerHerfer is offline   Reply With Quote