Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Community Centers > I'll Drink to That!

I'll Drink to That! What is your favorite beverage to have with a cigar? Juice? Cola? Beer? Port? Single Malt Scotch? This room is for the discussion of beverages, especially alcoholic beverages that go well with cigars!

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-08-2005, 12:14 PM   #1
Ralph

Laphroaig Quarter Cask

I never thought I would get a chance at this stuff, but happened upon a bottle on-line. The background on this Laphroaig is that it starts out like all the others in the range, in American Oak Bourbon barrels. Laphroaig of all different ages is then transferred into previously unused, specially produced Quarter Casks for a final seven- to eight- month finishing period. The smaller casks allow the whisky to receive 30% more contact with wood than other whiskies in traditional barrels, which would definitely change the original product. It's finally bottled, unchillfiltered, at 48%. Since it uses spirits of all ages there is no age statement on the label.

The initial aroma was typical Laphroaig with all its iodine infused, salty, peaty harshness. I LOVE IT! There was also a hint of that sweet vanilla-rubbery aroma that you find on a new beach ball. The first taste was also typical Laphroaig, salty, oily, medicinal, smokey, but it was much smoother than the 10 year-old. Not mellowed like the 15 year-old, but it had an almost silky, creamy quality to it.

After a few sips, I added about five or six drops of water and the nose just exploded with white chocolate. This seemed to soften the peat and smokiness without muting those flavors at all. In the finish I also tasted a subtle presence of oak (from the increased contact withe the smaller casks obviously) and some hints of perfectly toasted bread, things that I've never noticed in any Laphroaig product. As the dram went down I drew in a big breath and the heat just warmed my lungs.

Laphroaig 10 was my first love. I enjoy experimenting with new Scotches but they always seem to suffer by comparison to that first love, even including Laph 15 and the Laph 10 year-old Cask Strength. The Quarter Cask can hold its own IMHO. It takes all of the qualities I love in the 10 y-o and adds some really nice accents to it. Very impressive!
Ralph is online now   Reply With Quote