Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Talk

Cigar Talk A place for cigar enthusiasts to discuss our hobby, legal cigars and related stuff.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-03-2003, 12:15 PM   #1
Herfin Bigdog
Herf Meister

HBD's Front Porch Herfatorium Is Now In Business

I don't like smoking in the house because I don't like smelling the stale smoke lingering around the house.

About 2 months ago I started formulating a plan to construct a smokeroom on my front porch that: 1) I could put up and take down with a minimal time expense; 2) did not have to be hauled from the garage to the front porch and back to the garage; 3) did not have to be put together or taken apart like a puzzle; 4) was large enough to allow 5-6 herfers to smoke in a comfortable climate; and 5) most importantly, heated and maintained a considerably-warmer-than-outside temperature for as long as I'm herfing.

My porch is about 8.5 feet deep x 22 feet long. Two adjcent walls are part of the house. The remaining two walls are open, the longest having a post about halfway between the two sides.

I came up with the idea to construct two "roll-up" walls from 4 mil thick plastic sheeting, PVC pipe, duct tape, rope and pulleys. The roll-up walls enclose half the porch making an enclosure roughly 10ftx8.5ft. The walls are raised and lowered like the type of shade that uses a rope and pulley system.

Along the front wall of the house is a double window. I put a window fan in the top of one of the windows to provide a positive air flow into the enclosure. This serves two purposes: 1) Warm air from the house was forced into the enclosure, and 2) as the air escapes the enclosure around the edges of the plastic, it takes the smoke with it.

I heat the enclosure with two small electric heaters. Even with only one heater working and without the window fan on, the temperature rose from the upper 30s/low 40s to a comfortable level in under an hour.

Saturday evening, my good buddy TK and I christened my front porch smoke room and dubbed it Herfin Bigdog's Herfatorium.

FINALLY...It will be nice to be able to go out and smoke on the front porch and not freeze the doo-dads.

To me, a cigar is more than a good smoke; it is a way of life. I love them! And it killed George Burns at 100, so don't give me any crap about health! -- Bert Sugar, Sports Writer
Herfin Bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote