Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Community Centers > I'll Drink to That!

I'll Drink to That! What is your favorite beverage to have with a cigar? Juice? Cola? Beer? Port? Single Malt Scotch? This room is for the discussion of beverages, especially alcoholic beverages that go well with cigars!

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-17-2010, 03:45 PM   #1
Black Plague
Herf Meister

The Balvenie 1993 PortWood

Thought I'd try my hand at Scotch reviews....again. I can't find the exact age of this spirit, but I bought the bottle in 2008, so I know it can't be more than 15 years old. I think it probably spent 13 or 14 years in wood.

Color:
Pours a brushed bronze color, like dark honey.

Without water:
Nose was sweet. Gave off raisins, other dried fruits, and sweet pastries that combined to give it a kind of fruitcake smell. Smoke was just barely perceptible beneath the sweet, port-influenced smells.

Semi-sweet (but not as sweet as the nose would have you believe) honey, light to medium sweet spice, and malty with a dry, oaky finish. The light peat-smoking really came out on the finish. Palate was a bit alcohol-tinged, but very warming and the flavors were all intense.

With water:
Subdued the sweetness, making the mild peat smoke and alcohol more apparent. Honey and the winey notes of the port pipe stood out more.

Softer tasting, but still intense. Sweetness came out a little more on the palate, finish less dry, but still oaky and smokey. I could pick out some mineral nuances on the finish too.

Overall, I have to agree with Doug's assessment in A Rich Pour No. 17 (http://cigarweekly.com/magazine/life...land-of-scotch) that this spirit does feel a little unbalanced and conflicted, probably on account on its age. But don't get me wrong...it's still a good dram! Especially if you like that youthful kick.

Also, thanks to Doug for helping me pick out this bottle at the SAQ Signature in Montreal back in 2008.
Black Plague is offline   Reply With Quote