Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-07-2013, 11:47 PM   #1
Briandg
CW Squirrel Wrangler
Herf God

I really try to like them.

Gurkha. You know, you have to give everyone a chance, time after time, because sooner or later, there has to be a winner. I keep thinking that.

A few years ago, I got 3 five packs of box pressed robustos, on a whim, from JR. They were royal limited great thing especial short batch or something like that, with a red and gold and brown and green band with a funny looking guy in a fez on the band. I believe that I had smoked the same line in Churchill, and found it to be acceptable, I really can't remember. (I just checked the band, it says "regent.")

The cigar appeared to be h2k, a Rosado wrapper, box pressed. The wrapper seemed a little flat and dry, and just kind of underwhelming. Give it an 85 or so in appearance. it was soft in spots, and drew rather loosely, as is common in cheap box pressed smokes. the ash flaked, and broke off rather short. it didn't burn all that straight, but it was sufficient with a couple touch ups. Nothing really to complain about, so Go ahead and give it an 80-85 there, as well.

Lighting it up and driving around, I was really kind of disappointed. the flavor was a one dimensional blast of black pepper. You know, these things are supposed to be fine, complex blends of rare and unusual tobaccos, so I expect them to be at least better than average, and to have some interesting, or at least noticeable subtleties, but from start to finish, with a purge after an inch, the smoke remained just a sharp, one dimensional taste, mostly black pepper. None of the usual "tobacco" flavors I expect, like coffee, earth, leaves, wood, chocolate, or even molasses. I'm going to be charitable and call it an 82, because I can see that some people would love the hell out of that taste, and overall, it was a better than average smoke.

I'm sure this thing got 90 somewhere, but I'm going to say 83 or so. If I smoked the same thing next week, I might give it an 80. It's a good quality cigar, but disappointing in it's ordinariness, and doubly disappointing after the shameless marketing and $20 msrp.

Last edited by Briandg; 05-07-2013 at 11:56 PM.
Briandg is offline   Reply With Quote