Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Community Centers > I'll Drink to That!

I'll Drink to That! What is your favorite beverage to have with a cigar? Juice? Cola? Beer? Port? Single Malt Scotch? This room is for the discussion of beverages, especially alcoholic beverages that go well with cigars!

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-21-2005, 07:46 AM   #1
Black Plague
Herf Meister

French press coffee rocks!

Loving my French press more and more everyday. Just finished some light-roasted Colombian...thinking of breaking it out again for some Killer Beans Brazilian Bombshell.

I'll tell you one thing though...it took a lot of trial and error before I really fell in love with the French press. French press coffee is some of the best...but goddamn is that bastard unforgiving when it comes to making your coffee. If you don't do it perfect, it tastes like crap...but if you do it right...

I use a Bodum Chambord press that makes about two cups at a time, and here's my process (for any newbies thinking of picking one of these up).

1.) Bring your water to a good boil then take it off the stove/microwave/hotplate/whatever
2.) While its cooling, grind up your beans (coarse-ground, so you don't clog up the filter). The ratio I use and what I hear the most is about 2 tablespoons for every 6 ounces of water.
3.) As soon as you got 'em ground, them 'em in the press pot. Now that you gave your water that minute or two to cool, it should be right at the ideal temperature (about 200 degrees), so pour it on.
4.) Steeping time, from what I've seen, depends on how much you're making. For a bigger one, three minutes seems ideal. For my little one, I only let it go for two minutes. Also, it helps to stir up the grounds after you pour the water on, and you'll see it bloom (foam) up.
5.) When the time's elapsed, pour it out of the press pot into your cup or another carafe if you made a lot. Don't let it sit in the press pot with the grounds.

It's a process that requires a lot of precision. If the water temperature isn't hot enough (or too hot), you steep it too long, or you let it sit in the pot after you're done, then you'll end up with coffee that tastes like butt

Follow those steps, and you'll get some coffee!

Anyone else got some French press wisdom they'd like to contribute?
Black Plague is offline   Reply With Quote