Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Community Centers > I'll Drink to That!

I'll Drink to That! What is your favorite beverage to have with a cigar? Juice? Cola? Beer? Port? Single Malt Scotch? This room is for the discussion of beverages, especially alcoholic beverages that go well with cigars!

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-29-2008, 09:23 AM   #1
jazznut
Managing Editor Emeritus
Herf God

Exceptional red table wine...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkTwin
2001 Michel Gassier Cabernet Sauvignon “Les Piliers” $9.99

Drinks like a $25 Cabernet… absolutely awesome stuff!
This wonderful mouthful of wine is a real winner. A fantastic nose of Black cherry and cassis-scented fruit is the prelude to a luscious Cabernet Sauvignon that is full-bodied and layered. It is hard to believe that concentration of this level can be found in a $10 wine. It puts most twenty-five dollar California Cabernets to shame.
As you can see, Roger remarked very favourably on the 2001 vintage of this wine in a thread posted back in 2005.

I recently came across some stocks of the 2005 vintage and, instantaneously recalling his , didn't hesitate one bit in procuring a few bottles. My first bottle was broached last Friday evening.

This is a 'big' wine in every sense. The colour is a dense blackish red, the tannins are substantial to the point of adhering to the inside neck of the bottle upon removing the cork (the wine is not filtered), and the overall impression is of a youthful mass of fruit as yet somewhat held in check by the 'hefty backbone' structural quality of the wine (what was left in the bottle seemed a little more 'giving' the following day). At 14.5%ABV, this is not a red for the weak of heart. Yet despite the textural weight and richness, Gassier's southern French essay on Cabernet Sauvignon doesn't suffer from a lack of elegance.

The price here in Québec is less than $18CDN, making the Les Piliers a fine value.

I would suggest that any of you who are looking for an archetypal Cabernet 'barbecue' wine seek this one out, go for a few (or more) bottles and leave them to rest for 2 to 3 years. You will then surely be in for a real treat!