Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Community Centers > I'll Drink to That!

I'll Drink to That! What is your favorite beverage to have with a cigar? Juice? Cola? Beer? Port? Single Malt Scotch? This room is for the discussion of beverages, especially alcoholic beverages that go well with cigars!

Old 11-23-2011, 02:12 PM   #1
Broken

Behmor 1600 review (after 10 roasts)

The short of it is like this, I love it so far. You can get a consistent roast time after time if you are using the same kind of beans. There is a learning curve when you switch to a different type of bean and more so if it's a different hardness.

I can get to the start of second crack on a Honduran bean using the P1 A profile and adding 30 seconds to the timer and it is spot on time after time (ok, well at least 4 times in a row). So I threw in an Indian Mayora and char-coaled that shit in 15 seconds less time. I tried that bean again with the same settings and took 15 seconds off the timer Total of 45 seconds less than the first bean) and it roasted to near perfection. So I wouldn't call that a problem but more of a learning curve.

This thing is easy to use, the instructions are clear but it is not a "set and forget" type of appliance. You still need to keep an eye on it in case you want to add time to the roast or send it to the cooling session early. You can easily see the beans in the tumbler when the light is on so you know when they are getting dark. If you keep a journal of how long you roast a certain bean and what profile setting you use you can easily repeat that roast later on.

On the downside, if you like your roast very dark this is probably not the roaster for you. Once you get 10 seconds or so past second crack you will get smoke, A LOT OF SMOKE. So much smoke that you will be pulling the batteries out of your smoke detectors.

I would list the positives as:
Easy to use.
Pretty much smokeless unless you go too far past second crack.
Very easy to get a consistent roast.
Makes great coffee.
Will absolutely roast a pound at a time.
Quiet enough to hear first and second crack.
Beans are cool enough to grab out of the roaster as soon as the cooling cycle ends.

I wouldn't say these are negatives, but some things you will have to be aware of:
Takes a good bit of cleaning. The chaff tray catches most of the chaff, but not all of it. I keep a small shop vac next to it and vac it out after every roast.
Will not go to a very dark roast.
If you roast too long and you start to get smoke it's too late, you're gonna get a lot of smoke.
A lot of directions/instructions.
Small learning curve when switching from bean to bean, but a more experienced roaster will likely catch on quicker than I did.
Cost $300

I wouldn't say the cost is really a negative because it's ultimately worth it once you learn to use it well.

Again, this thing makes a great consistent roast, but you better be willing to keep up with the cleaning.

If you have any questions, ask away!

Proud member of the 2007 Robusto 8
Broken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 08:42 PM   #2
Wang Lung
Club Member

I have a friend, who I introduced to roasting, he has roasted over 1000 lbs. of coffee i
n his Behmore. Several components have been replaced, and it looks like crap. But there's no denying the utility you can get out of this thing.
Old 11-24-2011, 05:42 AM   #3
KatDad
Herf God

Good information, thanks.

The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule it
H. L. Mencken

The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants
Albert Camus

The Land of the Free Because of the Brave
KatDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 03:13 PM   #4
Broken

Update after a few weeks of use:

The learning curve is not as steep as I feared. Once I charcoaled a roast I got afraid of smoking another one so I ended up under-roasting about three half pound roasts and they just weren't good at all, pitched them out.

Now I've got it down that about 3 minutes (for a 1LB roast) after first crack starts you will get into second crack on the P2 profile.

I like the P2 profile as it's not as hot as P1. The roast will take a bit longer, but on the P1 profile things can happen pretty quickly once you get to first crack and I like a little more margin of error.

It'll never be a "set and forget" type of thing mostly because I like to set the timer for more time than I know I will need and hit the "cool" button when I want to. No risk of under-roasting that way.

For those like me that confused smoke suppression with smoke free you need to know that you will get some smoke no matter what and like I said earlier, a ton of smoke if you go too far with a roast.

Enjoying the machine so far.

Proud member of the 2007 Robusto 8
Broken is offline   Reply With Quote