Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-14-2004, 05:03 PM   #1
tchapchap
Contributing Editor
Club Member

Royal Jamaica Gold -- Churchill

Royal Jamaica Gold Churchill
54 x 7
Wrapper: Nicaraguan
Binder: Nicaraguan
Filler: Jamaican, Honduran, Nicaraguan
Info from: http://www.altadisusa.com/cigar/royaljamaicagold.asp

I enjoyed this new Altadis product today at Detroit's Comerica Park, home to the Detroit Tigers, as a guest of the Cigar Dave Show.

This vitola comes packaged in a very classy gold foil like material wrapped around the bottom two-thirds. This foil is banded around the foot and again at the standard location below the cap with a “brand” band sporting nice artwork and colors. The cigar easily slips out of this foil to reveal a second “brand” band wrapped around the cigar in standard fashion. All this, of course, inside your standard issue cello.

This is a very attractive Churchill. The wrapper is a gorgeous medium dark, reddish brown. An interesting observation was that, for a cigar this size, it felt light in my hand. Some distinct veining was present but not enough to detract from the fine appearance. It clipped easily with my Xikar Xi. The pre-light draw was spot on and the flavor was that of dry grain and somewhat grassy.

Lighting was effortless with my Colibri Talon single flame torch and the cigar burned quite evenly for the most part but had some minor problems about half way through. No touch ups were required however, as it corrected itself in good shape.

This mild to medium strength cigar presented medium body with medium to full flavor initially then settled into a more medium flavor profile for the last half to three quarters. It offered nice complexity with a pronounced floral character and an appetizing but subtle sweetness. The finish was short and grassy. This profile lingered to the two-thirds mark at which point the cigar unfortunately lost most of its character.

Normally Churchill’s are more cigar than I like to smoke, they seem to make my palate work overtime. I did enjoy this vitola, however, and plan to try one in a smaller size.

All in all, not outstanding but a satisfying smoke!

Thanks for reading my review!
tchapchap is offline   Reply With Quote