Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Community Centers > Mr. Creosote's Diner

Mr. Creosote's Diner Fried, boiled, smoked, seared or sautéed, this is the place we discuss our favorite foods and their preparation. Grab a knife and fork and dig in!

Old 12-03-2017, 12:24 PM   #1
Osmond
Club Member

Beef Wellington

Question here.

I've decided to make Beef Wellington for a pre-Christmas Dinner.

I've heard good things about substituting Prosciutto for the Pate'. (For a number of reasons I think this might be a good idea. Not for me)

Anyway - your thoughts??

Also, any experiences with making Beef Wellington? I have ordered a whole beef tenderloin and am actually thinking of cutting off a portion to make steaks for 1 person that might be allergic to the seeds in the mustard.

Any pastry tricks I should be aware of??

Also planning to do double / twice baked potatoes. Other side recommendations?

Thx.
Old 12-03-2017, 01:17 PM   #2
grtrx
Contributing Editor
Herf God

for a side I would think you'd want something with some acidity in the sauce... maybe Brussels Sprouts roasted with bacon and tossed with sherry vinegar

I have not done beef Wellington, so no help can I give, good luck!

"A sick thought can devour the body's flesh more than fever or consumption." - Guy de Maupassant
grtrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 01:25 PM   #3
BigO
Publisher/Owner
El Chefé
BBQ Guru
Herf God

I've never done one and I think that I've eaten it only once or twice in fifty years. It isn't an easy dish, so I'd stick to the traditional recipe. Asparagus with hollandaise would go well with it for the same reason Jeff outlined. Hollandaise has a definite lemon twang to it that will brighten anything you serve with it. Invest in some top shelf bread and some Irish butter (like Kerrygold) for another side. European butter isn't better than domestic, but it has a much higher butter fat level. Almost like another product altogether.

Free speech is free speech is free speech. There is no qualifier.

If you aren't outraged, you aren't paying attention.

Never attribute malice to that what can be explained as stupidity.

Unborn lives matter too.

BigO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 05:23 PM   #4
grtrx
Contributing Editor
Herf God

plan on doing a test run...

"A sick thought can devour the body's flesh more than fever or consumption." - Guy de Maupassant
Old 12-04-2017, 07:08 AM   #5
Osmond
Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grtrx View Post
plan on doing a test run...
My plan for this coming weekend.

My fallback is just a beef tenderloin cut into 1/2 inch sections so that people can have as much or little as they like. Rare / Medium Rare/ Medium / Well done ends.

Thanks guys.
Old 12-04-2017, 12:55 PM   #6
N8DCJ
Club Member

Honestly, I have only done beef tenderloin once , do medallions on grill , it's easier and really good...

And , I have requests for medallions for Christmas, I said , someone buys , I cook , 3 people said no problem , so ...

Go that route sir

Dan
N8DCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 04:06 PM   #7
grtrx
Contributing Editor
Herf God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osmond View Post
My plan for this coming weekend.

My fallback is just a beef tenderloin cut into 1/2 inch sections so that people can have as much or little as they like. Rare / Medium Rare/ Medium / Well done ends.

Thanks guys.
ever consider a standing rib roast?