Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Community Centers > Mr. Creosote's Diner

Mr. Creosote's Diner Fried, boiled, smoked, seared or sautéed, this is the place we discuss our favorite foods and their preparation. Grab a knife and fork and dig in!

Old 08-17-2017, 02:38 PM   #1
Briandg
CW Squirrel Wrangler
Herf God

Red potatoes.

What is it with these things? They are pasty and heavy and cook up like wads of wet paper, and they look like people with monkey butt.

Why do people love these things?
Briandg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 04:07 PM   #2
BigO
Publisher/Owner
El Chefé
BBQ Guru
Herf God

They need to either be boiled in their skins, smashed rustically and made into mash or cooked with garlic, rosemary,lemon juice and thyme a little olive oil and a quarter cup of water in a covered skillet. The water steams them as it evaporates and then the oil crisps them up. I've tossed them with oil and dry ranch dressing mix and roasted them in the oven until they are crispy too. Not my favorite potato, but there's a number of ways you can make them good. They don't have the starch content of russets or even Yukon gold, so they need to be prepared differently.

Free speech is free speech is free speech. There is no qualifier.

If you aren't outraged, you aren't paying attention.

Never attribute malice to that what can be explained as stupidity.

Unborn lives matter too.

BigO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 04:20 PM   #3
SLR
Charter Member
Herf God

I enjoy red potatoes roasted in wedges with garlic, olive oil, and rosemary.
SLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 04:41 PM   #4
mike s
Contributing Editor
Club Member

I think they add to my crawfish boils. Having said that I like the golden fingerling potatoes better....
mike s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 04:55 PM   #5
Briandg
CW Squirrel Wrangler
Herf God

I've roasted them and can tolerate them. Wife likes to boil them and serve with butter or cream them into paste. I cooked them with a roast laws night, and only let them sit in the oven with the meat for a half hour nd oh, they were great, she said, but my bottom round roast wasn't pull apart tender, dry, crock pot chuck.

The gravy was epic. I set the roast in with a big sprig of fresh rosemary, and laid two big bell peppers, an onion, carrots, pepper and salt in it. I finished it with kitchen bouquet and a blob of beef base. It was herbal and spicy, but it wasn't plain brown gravy.

Did I ever mention that they make "Gilbert" gravy? Boil neck and giblets in water. Strain the water and add corn starch. You get a runny, pale, flavorless muck.

water gravy. Yum.
Old 08-17-2017, 06:41 PM   #6
BigJohn
Chief Geek, @cigarweekly

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLR View Post
I enjoy red potatoes roasted in wedges with garlic, olive oil, and rosemary.
This.
Best roasted. So yummy.

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk
Help support the CigarWeekly webhost (me!) > Shop online? Start HERE: direct to Amazon.com
Protect your computer from VIRUSES > Get Avast!
BigJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 07:11 PM   #7
grtrx
Contributing Editor
Herf God

cooking them with a little chicken stock the roasting them adds a lot of flavor

"A sick thought can devour the body's flesh more than fever or consumption." - Guy de Maupassant
grtrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 04:26 AM   #8
BigO
Publisher/Owner
El Chefé
BBQ Guru
Herf God

Indeed it does. The skillet and stovetop method is counter intuitive, but it makes delightful crispy and flavorful potatoes. I never suggest salt in a recipe I pass on because it is so individual. Some like salty, some not so much. I fall somewhere in the middle. A lot of restaurant and prepared food is too salty for my taste. You can always add more at the table, but you can't take it out.

Look for a New England salt roast potato dish. It uses red potatoes and is not only good, but a lot less salty than you would think.

Free speech is free speech is free speech. There is no qualifier.

If you aren't outraged, you aren't paying attention.

Never attribute malice to that what can be explained as stupidity.

Unborn lives matter too.

BigO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 05:34 PM   #9
Briandg
CW Squirrel Wrangler
Herf God

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigO View Post
They need to either be boiled in their skins, smashed rustically and made into mash or cooked with garlic, rosemary,lemon juice and thyme a little olive oil and a quarter cup of water in a covered skillet. The water steams them as it evaporates and then the oil crisps them up. I've tossed them with oil and dry ranch dressing mix and roasted them in the oven until they are crispy too. Not my favorite potato, but there's a number of ways you can make them good. They don't have the starch content of russets or even Yukon gold, so they need to be prepared differently.
Ill try that. I won't mash them. I cube good, firm russets, boil until just done, lightly mash. Fluffy and a bit chunky.

I like chunky. I make guacamole with a potato masher, by the time I crush them all, it's creamy and still chunky. Chop a tomato and an onion fine, lime juice and salt, a bit of Tabasco, fold gently, and she will make a meal out of it.

She grew up in a home run by someone who boiled canned vegetables for five minutes, and she never had a piece of meat that wasn't black on the outside and gray in the middle. She never grew out of certain things, and didn't grow into other things. Pork must be rolled in flour and blackened. Of course, no matter what I try, I can't fry chicken like her mother did. Nobody can.
Old 08-17-2017, 06:14 PM   #10
grtrx
Contributing Editor
Herf God

steam them with skins on

when the are soft set them on a plate and squish them down, not pancake thin but smashed a bit

put on an oiled skillet. salt. roast is an oven.

serve them when bottom is crispy brown

they really need salt

I think I have that "recipe" correct but its been a long ass day and I am exhausted

"A sick thought can devour the body's flesh more than fever or consumption." - Guy de Maupassant
grtrx is offline   Reply With Quote