Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Community Centers > I'll Drink to That!

I'll Drink to That! What is your favorite beverage to have with a cigar? Juice? Cola? Beer? Port? Single Malt Scotch? This room is for the discussion of beverages, especially alcoholic beverages that go well with cigars!

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-23-2008, 01:14 PM   #1
jazznut
Managing Editor Emeritus
Herf God

Bowmore 18 Year Old

It won Double Gold as well as Best in Show at the 2007 San Francisco World Spirits Competition, yet remains slightly controversial in the eyes of some Bowmore enthusiasts, not to mention amongst those who dislike the distillery's product.

As the 17-year old it replaces has always held a special place in my taste bud memory, I decided to carry out a head-to-head comparison this afternoon...

Bowmore 18 Year Old – 43%
Preamble: The successor within the Bowmore range to the fabled 17 Year Old.
Colour: A deeper hue than that of its predecessor, with orange-gold now tending toward burnt orange.
Nose: The influence of a higher proportion of first-fill Sherry casks is reflected in an additional sheen that overlies the intrinsic characteristics of the make.
Palate: Dried papaya, honey and herbs intertwine with salt, soot and oak. Yet there’s a rye-like snap to the underlying crispness of the malt and partnering wood that refuses to allow any other single aspect to dominate for more than a millisecond.
Assessment: Some deride the change while others embrace it. Any way you slice it, though, this is not a whisky to rush by.
Summary: “Something lost, something gained,” I say. Perhaps not quite as exotic and of-a-piece as the 17 was in its prime, but excellent nonetheless. The moment-to-moment dynamics border on brilliance.