Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Community Centers > Mr. Creosote's Diner

Mr. Creosote's Diner Fried, boiled, smoked, seared or sautéed, this is the place we discuss our favorite foods and their preparation. Grab a knife and fork and dig in!

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-25-2017, 06:24 AM   #1
TommyBB
Editor-in-Chief
Herf God

Easy Beef Lo-Mein (Epicurious)

I got this recipe via e-mail, as I subscribe to the daily updates.
Made this this weekend with some adjustments, and I daresay, it turned out pretty well. James and I like it, anyway.

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/fo...y-beef-lo-mein
Quote:
YIELD4 servings ACTIVE TIME22 minutes TOTAL TIME22 minutes
INGREDIENTS

8 ounces lo mein noodles or spaghetti
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, plus more
1/2 cup oyster sauce
1/4 cup low-sodium soy sauce
1/4 cup rice wine vinegar
3 tablespoons honey
1 1/2 pounds flank steak, chilled
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, plus more
2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil, divided
2 large garlic cloves, pressed with a garlic press or finely chopped
1 1/2 teaspoons finely grated ginger
3 scallions, thinly sliced, divided
8 ounces snow peas
1 medium red bell pepper, cut into 1/4"-thick strips
PREPARATION

Cook noodles in a medium pot of boiling salted water according to package directions. Drain and rinse with cool water; set aside.

Meanwhile, whisk oyster sauce, soy sauce, vinegar, and honey together in a medium bowl.

Slice beef against the grain as thinly as possible. Transfer to a medium bowl and toss with 1/2 tsp. salt and 1/2 tsp. pepper.

Heat 2 Tbsp. oil in a large wok or skillet over high. Add beef and cook, tossing often, until medium-rare, about 3 minutes. Transfer to a plate.

Heat remaining 1 tsp. oil in same skillet over high. Cook garlic, ginger, and half of the scallions, stirring, for 30 seconds.

Add peas and bell pepper and cook until vegetables are softened, about 1 minute.

Add oyster sauce mixture and reserved noodles and cook, tossing with tongs, until everything is coated and sauce thickens slightly, 1–2 minutes more.

Add beef and stir to combine.

Divide among plates and top with remaining scallions and black pepper.
Cooks’ Note

If you have a few extra minutes, sliced carrots or mushrooms would be a great addition to this stir-fry. Add them to the skillet with the garlic, ginger, and scallions and cook until tender. Then add the peas and bell pepper and continue with the recipe as written.
Here's how I adapted it.
I had a deer roast in the freezer, James took it in late December. It ended up being just over two pounds. So, I thawed it early in the week, I soaked it in rice-wine vinegar and juice. Later in the week, I sprinkled it liberally with ground ginger, black pepper, with more juice and vinegar.

I didn't have enough oyster sauce to double it, but it didn't affect the flavor, in fact it was better.

Added the carrots and added a rib of celery.

Couldn't find lo mein noodles, so used udon, instead.

It seems easy, but for whatever reason it just seemed like a pain in the butt, not certain if I'll do it again or not. Might be easier to order take-out. However it is really delicious.

+In Memory of E.Guevara(Cubano67)W.Orlando(Shadow) A.Morris (Knife) D.Odom (dodom) D.Revermann (dgr) S.Bouchard (sb1396) M.Cole (Matt76) S.Faccenda (TOJE) R.Smith(IBMer) V.Vandermeer (van55)M.Davis(boxdoctor)S.Singer(bassman)K.Doetze l (drillrk1)D.Hart(garme1962)J.Coleman(John C 81)T.Gossett(Dartplayer1)J.Bolt (jb)E.J.Ferralles(CaballoPinto)M.Cataldo(FVFanMC)K Payne(SanchoPanza)F.Seltzer(Mowee)+LB+Connor Olson+Micah Kercheval+Maggie Bonefas+Karen

Last edited by TommyBB; 07-26-2017 at 08:41 PM.
TommyBB is online now   Reply With Quote